From: sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] 9front on the Allwinner A64
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 17:50:06 +0100 (GMT+01:00)	[thread overview]

29.11.2022 15:44:31 Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net>:
> Yes, this is what the hellaphone project was, but with inferno.  The
> Android pieces were basically hardware enablement and inferno tied into
> things like audioflinger.  There was no android UI left running.  You
> instead had a filesystem-based interface to the phone radio etc, with
> some basic touch-oriented UI served on top.  It was a similar approach
> to Mer's libhybris effort but with inferno doing plan-9-style things
> instead of lumping more linux on top.
>
> I suggest you look at what hellphone did before dismissing it entirely.
> I also suggest that before you start developing anything you come to
> some kind of definition of what Plan 9 "feels like."

I am very aware of what hellaphone did. Probably not that much into detail, but I really like their approach (besides having Android as a backend and that I generally don't really like the inferno UI stuff). Also I didn't really dismiss hellaphone entirely, my response was more towards the other mails in this thread.

I can start developing anything I like (as much as you can suggest anything you like), and surely, looking at what Plan 9 "feels like" is part of that development.

I think it's really hard (if not impossible) to find a definitive definition for that, especially considering "the user factor". But I believe it is necessary to develop something(TM) and give it to testers to see if it matches their expectations and extract the "Plan 9 feel" from user feedback to further improve.

Note that "develop" in this context doesn't mean a finak product, but also concepts and graphics that can lead to further discussion and improvement for the designs.

sirjofri