* How to start with 9front
@ 2011-07-19 10:03 neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-19 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hiho People's Front of Judea, ;-)

I search for a "first steps" oder a little introdution into 9front.
I have install the system into a vmware vm and it will boot.

No I'm standing here:
bootargs is (tcp, local!device) [local!/dev/scd0/fscache]-

What are the commands & options? How start the GUI and so on.
Is this the a prompt, a shell??? Or what?

Are you able to help me?

Thanks & Greetz
neo67

* Re: How to start with 9front
@ 2011-07-19 10:30 ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2011-07-19 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> No I'm standing here:
> bootargs is (tcp, local!device) [local!/dev/scd0/fscache]-

Just press enter.

> Are you able to help me?

Feel free to visit our IRC channel #cat-v on irc.freenode.net

aiju

* Re: How to start with 9front
@ 2011-07-19 13:56 ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2011-07-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 7:03 AM, neo67 <i.am.neo67@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hiho People's Front of Judea, ;-)
>
> I search for a "first steps" oder a little introdution into 9front.
> I have install the system into a vmware vm and it will boot.
>
> No I'm standing here:
> bootargs is (tcp, local!device) [local!/dev/scd0/fscache]-
>
> What are the commands & options? How start the GUI and so on.
> Is this the a prompt, a shell??? Or what?
>
> Are you able to help me?
>
> Thanks & Greetz
> neo67

Since 9front is born from Plan 9, much of the documentation for Plan 9
applies to 9front.
After following Julius words to get to the rc shell, you can read the
first three papers in [1] to understand what is this system about, [2]
for the first steps in its usage, and [3] if you want to digg a little
deeper than [2].

Good luck,
iru

[1] http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/index.html
[2] http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf
[3] http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

* Re: How to start with 9front
@ 2011-07-20  6:35   ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-20  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Good morning Julius,

I will try to read the links, which Iruata has mail me.
It's a bit difficulty....  okay... "easy is for everyone" :)

If I stand in front of the wall I will try IRC.

Thanks & have fun!

Juergen
aka neo67

On 19 Jul., 12:30, Julius Schmidt <a...@phicode.de> wrote:
> > No I'm standing here:
> > bootargs is (tcp, local!device) [local!/dev/scd0/fscache]-
>
> Just press enter.
>
> > Are you able to help me?
>
> Feel free to visit our IRC channel #cat-v on irc.freenode.net
>
> aiju

* Re: How to start with 9front
@ 2011-07-20  6:36   ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-20  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello iru,

thanks for the links, I will try them out.

Thanks
Juergen
aka nek67

@ 2011-07-20 13:36     ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2011-07-20 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello Juergen,

You should not bother too much about not understanding the system at
the first time. Read the papers just to get a rough idea about the
concepts and practice. Once you start using it, many things will start
to make sense, other won't, so you'll have to read parts of the papers
again.

A little piece of advice that is commonly given to newcomers: if you
try to understand Plan 9 (and 9front) based on the experience you
already have with other systems, you are likely to get frustrated. On
the other hand, if you can take the effort to learn something new, the
experience will pay off.

Good luck,
iru

@ 2011-07-21  6:28       ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-21  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Good Morning iru,

yes, you are right. I think, plan 9/9front is a little bit different
from other os.
:-)

okay, you must have an open mind for that.
I dealing around with Linux since the nineties.
9front will be a new expierence for me. ;-)

I have some understanding problems, but this I write in the other
post.

THX for suppport!

Greetz
Juergen