* Re: arm64 fails to link when float converted to int
@ 2020-08-04  7:58 Romano
From: Romano @ 2020-08-04  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Cinap,

I saw your recent merges to address problems with the initial patch.  How could I have helped more to test in some other way rather than just building netsurf and the system I'm on? Perhaps write other little C programs that test out corner cases for type conversion? Is that how you notice it causing other problems?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 9417 bytes --]

From: Romano <unobe@cpan.org>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: arm64 fails to link when float converted to int (Was Re: [9front] netsurf native frontend (text_insert: illegal combination FCVTZSDW FCON NONE REG))
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 11:41:55 -0700

> this is clearly a compiler bug.
>
> lets compare with the other compilers:

Thank you very much for the guided walk-through, and providing a patch to fix! It's been two decades since I looked at assembler before this past week or so, and therefore your notes were helpful in giving me an overview of what was happening (the -S flag is handy). I still need to take some more time in order to really understand the architectural differences (e.g., the intel 'haha' moment), but some other projects are most likely going to take priority if I don't run into any other compiler bugs.

> we'll need to to do a bunch of test now to make sure this
> change doesnt break anything.
>
> feel free to test and report any errors would be appreciated.

On my rpi4, I re-made 7c with the patch and installed it, then did 'cd /sys/src; mk clean; mk': no error occurred. I also reverted the modification I had made for netsurf native, mk clean'd, and it built without modification too.

Should I be kicking the tires in some other way?

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-08-04  7:58 UTC | newest]