* [9front] 9front WASM runtime
@ 2023-08-08  1:09 Greyson Jennings
From: Greyson Jennings @ 2023-08-08  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I'd been tinkering around with WASM runtimes and I've managed to get a
functioning build for plan 9, called Ricket! It's basically a frontend for
wazero tailored to use in plan 9, and It's super in alpha, but it does run
basic command line applications. I thought you guys might find it
interesting, and if anyone finds it useful at all, I can continue tinkering
with it.

I built it because while nearly every popular language can compile to WASM,
only Go, C, and sometimes Zig are the only languages I can think of that
have explicit Plan 9 support, and so I wanted to be able to have more
options for building CLI apps, and be able to easily port existing ones.

Check it out on github here! The binary in the repository is compiled to p9
and it runs on my 9front install. Later, I'll set up github actions to
built it automatically, and I may mirror it on sourcehut or shithub too.
https://github.com/SlashScreen/ricket

* Re: [9front] 9front WASM runtime
@ 2023-08-08 10:54 ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2023-08-08 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 4:09 AM Greyson Jennings <tallesttower1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd been tinkering around with WASM runtimes and I've managed to get a
> functioning build for plan 9, called Ricket! It's basically a frontend for
> wazero tailored to use in plan 9, and It's super in alpha, but it does run
> basic command line applications. I thought you guys might find it
> interesting, and if anyone finds it useful at all, I can continue tinkering
> with it.
>
> I built it because while nearly every popular language can compile to WASM,
> only Go, C, and sometimes Zig are the only languages I can think of that
> have explicit Plan 9 support, and so I wanted to be able to have more
> options for building CLI apps, and be able to easily port existing ones.
>
> Check it out on github here! The binary in the repository is compiled to p9
> and it runs on my 9front install. Later, I'll set up github actions to
> built it automatically, and I may mirror it on sourcehut or shithub too.
> https://github.com/SlashScreen/ricket

FWIW: I love it! Would like to play with it once it is a bit more developed.

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9front] 9front WASM runtime
@ 2023-09-17  9:59   ` Greyson Jennings
From: Greyson Jennings @ 2023-09-17  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Ricket is now functional! It can also package wasm files to behave as
an executable. Thanks to Ori on the #cat-v channel for helping me make
this more p9-like.

--
No newline at end of file.