From: hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Free Carrots #6: Tools For Fighting WiFi Inequality
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:32:15 +0200	[thread overview]

so, like a factor 5.
2.4ghz wifi is useless for me here even with linux/windows/android. i
live in a higher density area with too much interference from
neighbors.
5ghz stuff otoh has much more regular latencies, i.e. less jitter from
re-transmissions after collisions. probably mainly bec. the
attenuation in our brick walls is a lot higher for 5ghz (unlike for
2.4ghz).
also, there's less other crap l ike bluetooth on the 5ghz band. 2.4ghz
is way too overcrowded.
the big big big downside though is that there aren't many usable bands
in 5ghz that aren't plagued by DFS procedures, also making all but 4
channels practically unusable in my area. still, for me, 5ghz still
helps a lot, just it isn't good enough when you don't have nice brick
walls (i.e. it's great in old european 100 years old houses. but sucks
in america).

i have high hopes for wifi6E or wifi7 devices with full 6ghz band
support. i think once there is a driver and hostapd support for this
on linux/bsd, it will become very much worth the effort to try and
support it fully.
6ghz stuff might finally become universally useful internationally.