From: hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Free Carrots #6: Tools For Fighting WiFi Inequality
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 09:56:36 +0200	[thread overview]

> i get different kinds of transient problems depending on different
> combinations of factors, but the disparity between mpcie and m.2 cards is
> pretty consistent. i don't know if the type of pci connection really matters
> at all, or if it's just a coincidence that these newer cards suddenly
> perform so much worse precisely when they switched to m.2.

i'm 99% sure it's coincidence, the pcie version or connector shape
shouldn't matter.

> yes, wifi sucks, but the same hardware us usable for my tasks on other
> operating systems, but sucks with 9front. this to me suggests that wifi
> sucking isn't the whole story.

latency hurts our 9p throughput even more if it is combined with the
typical wifi packet-loss/retransmissions. that's definitely unique to
9p and thus 9front.

apart from that, our drivers lack higher throughput modes like HT and VHT.

i pointed out before that ath5k was generally quite nice hardware,
might be worth targeting, but the more we wait, the more it's worth
skipping all this stuff and going straight to devices that support the
6ghz band instead.