From: hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] rpi4 wifi USB dongle
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 11:09:49 +0100	[thread overview]

I can tell you generally.

An ethernet client is a computer with a mac address.

Given you have a group of M clients and another group of N clients and
you want to connect them, plug the M clients into a switch with M+1
ports on one side and the N clients into a switch with N+1 ports on
the other side, then use the remaining port and a long cable to
connect them together.

Imagine now the M-AP is a wifi router, and you want to connect it to
the N-AP over wifi.
but here when wifi comes into play not every client is the same. you
have many wifi stations and just one wifi *ap*, if we make M-AP the
wifi AP, you can bridge all the M clients just fine. that works on AP
side.
But if you want to bridge a wifi *station* on the other side, you can
not. a station can only bridge N=1 mac addresses into a wifi.

So, with wifi, either M or N has to be 1. Useless, no?

We have some code in 9front called mat damon, which is like NAT, but
for MAC addresses instead of IP addresses. This way one mac address
can hide all the N other mac addresses and translate between them. But
that's obviously a layer violation, a stupid hack that only exists due
to the limitation of wifi.