* drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-02  3:39 Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2020-10-02  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I have posted a binary .apk file on github of a recent version of
drawterm I packaged up as an android app. I only have an arm64 android
11 phone, so I can't test it very thoroughly myself...

https://github.com/echoline/drawterm-android/releases/tag/0.0.1

* Re: [9front] drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-02  5:58 ` sirjofri+ml-9front
From: sirjofri+ml-9front @ 2020-10-02  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Cohen; +Cc: 9front

Hi,

02.10.2020 07:39:41 Eli Cohen <echoline@gmail.com>:
> I have posted a binary .apk file on github of a recent version of
> drawterm I packaged up as an android app. I only have an arm64 android
> 11 phone, so I can't test it very thoroughly myself...

Something like a report.

I have a pixel 4 with current android version 11. Drawterm started and I
was able to create my server connections.

I found the screen (the Plan 9 Console window with blue border) being
unreliable, sometimes not showing up at all, sometimes it was there but
didn't show any text. It could be a connection error (that it didn't have
anything to show) or the inability to show text.

As there is no soft keyboard support (which is sad, btw) I wasn't able to
start a factotum with a secstore prompt before starting rio (with bitsy
keyboard). I think I need to add another branch to lib/profile to handle
this properly (starting factotum, opening rio with bitsy, manually load
keys from secstore or something like that).

Opening windows with the finger works, sometimes it seems like the actual
pointer is right over the finger (especially when typing on the bitsy
keyboard).

When switching the application, the window screen turns to black. I
needed to do something on the screen (klick somewhere) to redraw it.

Hitting android back button always kills the app. This happens inside a
session (a dialog would be good here), inside the connection
configuration (instead of switching back) and inside the existing
connection overview (which is fine, I think).

Anyways, good work on the app. Thank you very much!

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-02  8:10   ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2020-10-02  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> As there is no soft keyboard support (which is sad, btw)

I am already thinking I will redo this. the bitsy keyboard seemed more
"authentic plan 9" but really has a lot of drawbacks

> When switching the application, the window screen turns to black. I
> needed to do something on the screen (klick somewhere) to redraw it.

honestly... I was curious how it knew to redraw the screen on my own
pixel 2, as I didn't see any way it would know to flush the image, but
worked on my phone. something to figure out...

there is a lot to keep doing, especially if people use it. thanks for
trying it out and the report :)

* Re: [9front] drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-04  3:39     ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2020-10-04  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I have posted another binary with a few changes, notably keyboard support

https://github.com/echoline/drawterm-android/releases/tag/0.0.2

* Re: [9front] drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-04 10:09       ` sirjofri+ml-9front
From: sirjofri+ml-9front @ 2020-10-04 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Cohen

Hey,

04.10.2020 07:39:29 Eli Cohen <echoline@gmail.com>:
> I have posted another binary with a few changes, notably keyboard
support

Nice! Works great, thank you very much.

We can actually work with it. One suggestion:

Special keys like ctrl and alt/compose world be great for non-hacker
keyboard users.

What would be needed to put this on fdroid or playstore, theoretically?

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-04 18:41         ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2020-10-04 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

https://github.com/echoline/drawterm-android/releases/tag/0.0.3

I have fixed a couple more bugs. when I added keyboard support,
apparently I broke the input to add servers. I have also allowed empty
password entries so that the user can type the password in manually.

> Special keys like ctrl and alt/compose world be great for non-hacker
> keyboard users.

that might be a good idea, I've also noticed gboard lacks the |
character. for now, I'm using "hacker's keyboard"

> What would be needed to put this on fdroid or playstore, theoretically?

I don't know... I have never done that before...

* Re: [9front] drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-04 21:58         ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-10-04 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020, at 11:09 AM, sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de wrote:
> What would be needed to put this on fdroid [...], theoretically?

Quoting from the Gforth list:
> F-Droid wants to build the app from source, and, as far as
> I can see, F-Droid assumes that your app is a normal Java Android app, with a
> ant or gradle build.

That may not be a rigid restriction.

* Re: [9front] drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-05  1:12           ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-10-05  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eekee57, 9front

> On Sun, Oct 4, 2020, at 11:09 AM, sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de wrote:
>> What would be needed to put this on fdroid [...], theoretically?
>
> Quoting from the Gforth list:
>> F-Droid wants to build the app from source, and, as far as
>> I can see, F-Droid assumes that your app is a normal Java Android app, with a
>> ant or gradle build.
>
> That may not be a rigid restriction.

Also, in the worst case, you can probably provide a gradle file that
just invokes your build.

* Re: [9front] drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-09  9:33 ` sirjofri+ml-9front
From: sirjofri+ml-9front @ 2020-10-09  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Cohen

Hey Eli,

I can confirm the app does _not_ work on my Samsung Galaxy tablet
(SM-P600, Android version 5.1.1).

I have that thing rooted and thought about flashing it with more recent
android, I'm just unsure about if all apps I need will still run fine.

You cen test out different versions of android in the emulator that ships
with android studio, of course no real hardware there... Also there's an
android port to x86 (and I think also amd64) if you want to test more
things. Personally I wouldn't need them and I would be more glad if you
improve the app instead 😉.

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-10  3:18   ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2020-10-10  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I spent some time on it again today, it should work on android 5.0 and up now

@ 2020-10-10  5:40     ` sirjofri+ml-9front
From: sirjofri+ml-9front @ 2020-10-10  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Cohen

Hey Eli,

10.10.2020 07:17:53 Eli Cohen <echoline@gmail.com>:
> I spent some time on it again today, it should work on android 5.0 and
up now

I can't install this version on my android 11 phone.

On my tablet (Android 5.1.1) it installs fine but can't connect to my
server (no translation found). The window itself seems to work fine, I'm
not sure if that's a connection error from my side or a bug in the app.
Connection from the older version on my phone works fine.

Anyways, good work! Thank you

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] drawterm app for android 7.0 and up (hopefully)
@ 2020-10-10 14:07       ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2020-10-10 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

would you be able to send the relevant adb logcat information about
the problems?

also, it should be using AAN already...