* drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-13  2:48 William Gunnells
From: William Gunnells @ 2020-07-13  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I think I have this setup correctly in Qemu with service=cpu, and network setup correctly.
I run the following on my mac
./drawterm -a tcp\!127.0.0.1\!9567 -h tcp\!127.0.0.1\!9567 -u glenda

I get no errors and no prompt. I know that glenda is setup correctly. I know that its making a connection because if I do an fshalt -r I see an error in drawterm right away.

./drawterm: bad p9any domain
panic: ending

can anyone give me a hint as to what is going on.

this is in my plan9.ini
bootfile=9pc
bootargs=local!/dev/sdC0/fscache -a tcp!*!567
mouseport=ps2
monitor=vesa
vgasize=1024x768x16
service=cpu

/lib/ndb/local

all the usual stuff including
ip=127.0.0.1 sys=localhost dom=localhost
auth=cirno authdom=9front
ipnet=9front ip=10.0.2.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
	ipgw=10.0.2.2
	dns=10.0.2.3
	auth=cirno
	dnsdom=9front
	cpu-cirno
	smtp=cirno
ip=10.0.2.15 sys=cirno dom=cirno.9front ether=525300123456
sys=cirno ether=525400123456

* Re: drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-13  7:12 ` William Gunnells
From: William Gunnells @ 2020-07-13  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Does not work in OpenBSD either. Seems like the same problem

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2020-07-13 22:15   ` William Gunnells
From: William Gunnells @ 2020-07-13 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Is this just another dead channel?

> On Jul 13, 2020, at 12:12 AM, William Gunnells <gunnells@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does not work in OpenBSD either. Seems like the same problem
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 12, 2020, at 7:48 PM, William Gunnells <gunnells@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think I have this setup correctly in Qemu with service=cpu, and network setup correctly.
>> I run the following on my mac
>> ./drawterm -a tcp\!127.0.0.1\!9567 -h tcp\!127.0.0.1\!9567 -u glenda
>>
>> I get no errors and no prompt. I know that glenda is setup correctly. I know that its making a connection because if I do an fshalt -r I see an error in drawterm right away.
>>
>> ./drawterm: bad p9any domain
>> panic: ending
>>
>> can anyone give me a hint as to what is going on.
>>
>> this is in my plan9.ini
>> bootfile=9pc
>> bootargs=local!/dev/sdC0/fscache -a tcp!*!567
>> mouseport=ps2
>> monitor=vesa
>> vgasize=1024x768x16
>> service=cpu
>>
>> /lib/ndb/local
>>
>> all the usual stuff including
>> ip=127.0.0.1 sys=localhost dom=localhost
>> auth=cirno authdom=9front
>> ipnet=9front ip=10.0.2.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
>>   ipgw=10.0.2.2
>>   dns=10.0.2.3
>>   auth=cirno
>>   dnsdom=9front
>>   cpu-cirno
>>   smtp=cirno
>> ip=10.0.2.15 sys=cirno dom=cirno.9front ether=525300123456
>> sys=cirno ether=525400123456

* Re: [9front] Re: drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-13 22:22     ` Ori Bernstein
From: Ori Bernstein @ 2020-07-13 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front; +Cc: William Gunnells

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:15:40 -0700, William Gunnells <gunnells@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this just another dead channel?

Got the messages, but I don't have any particular insight; haven't
had this failure mode.

IIRC, there are some logs in /sys/log/auth. Maybe there's a hint
in there.

--
    Ori Bernstein

* Re: [9front] drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-13 22:24 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2020-07-13 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 07:48:42PM -0700, William Gunnells wrote:

> I get no errors and no prompt.

What prompt are you expecting to get?

khm

* Re: [9front] Re: drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-13 22:44     ` Amavect
From: Amavect @ 2020-07-13 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Will,

Have patience, I was typing this out...

First, try running netaudit(8) and see if it complains about anything.
Having the -a announce string in bootargs is probably unnecessary since
you're trying to run a cpu server, not a disk file server. Remove that flag.
Consider changing bootargs into nobootprompt, per the plan9.ini(8) man page.
If possible, setting up a bridged network connection makes life a lot
easier than using NAT and connecting to localhost. Bridged gives the VM
its own IP address, as opposed to sharing it with the host.

My ndb/local looks like this:

sys=cirno ether=000c296361f3
	ip=10.0.0.104
	dom=grove

ipnet=grove ip=10.0.0.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
	ipgw=10.0.0.1
	dns=10.0.0.1
	auth=pine authdom=grove

netaudit only complains about grove not having a dot. That's fine.
Per http://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html#7.4.1
auth/debug only works for dp9ik. That's good.
Typing in my password that I set with auth/changeuser works.
Per http://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html#7.4.2
auth/asaudit checks that auth/wrkey was set up right.
3 GOODs and 1 key read in AES format.
Per http://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html#7.3.2

I connect with
drawterm -h 10.0.0.104 -a 10.0.0.104 -u glenda

Thanks,
Amavect

* Re: [9front] drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-13 22:47   ` William Gunnells
From: William Gunnells @ 2020-07-13 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I don’t get a prompt or anything. I can however type on the screen. But commands don’t work. I would send a screenshot but I think that is filtered by the list server or something. I know that I make a connection but nothing is in the /sys/log/auth except for when I added glenda a few days ago using auth/changeuser

when I do an fshalt -r it gives an error in drawterm window
./drawterm: bad p9any domain
panic: ending

This is just a base install using 9front documentation online. I guess I did the following:
1. run the qemu install -> this seemed to be straightforward
2. initially i didn’t mess with compiler because I thought the default kernel would be fine. I did give up and compile this thinking maybe I’m missing something.
3. change /n/9fat/plan9.ini -> service=cpu
4. change /lib/ndb/local -> the details of that would be in a previous thread. But in short its just the ip’s I found from ndb/query
which were 10.0.2.0 etc…
5. I was not sure if I need to change authdom. I left it 9front I guess I could change it to whatever I wanted.
6. I left everything cirno
7. as soon as I reboot i believe I had bad nvram. i did authid glenda and authdom 9front sec key some_password and password some password
Really everything is the same password because I didn’t understand that part
i made sure to have bootargs=local!/dev/sdXX/fscache -a tcp!*!564

Honestly that should be it
I checked netstat -na | grep -i listen | grep tcp which shows:
127.0.0.1.9567
127.0.0.1.17010

and i run drawterm -a tcp\!127.0.0.1\!9567 -h tcp\!127.0.0.1\!9567
It seems I needed to put escape the ! and I was not sure if I needed a different port for -a 17010 neither of them seem to work
no errors.

I’m trying to think if I miss anything. firewall is off. Drawterm compiled fine on mac.

I didn’t think i needed to mess with any other filer like /rc/bin/cpurc ?
Back in the old days you had to mess with a lot of files just to get things working. Honestly I forgot how to use this.

here is something I just noticed in /sys/log/listen

started on tcp
giving up on tcp!*!567: (**

what’s up with that and why?

> On Jul 13, 2020, at 3:24 PM, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 07:48:42PM -0700, William Gunnells wrote:
>>
>> I get no errors and no prompt.
>
> What prompt are you expecting to get?
>
> khm

* Re: [9front] drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-17 10:51             ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-07-17 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020, at 6:02 PM, William Gunnells wrote:
> For such genius and beautiful OS why a slow web server. It kind of
> doesn’t make sense.

Because geniuses traditionally hate the horrible pile of amateur mistakes, stupid difficulties, and sheer brokenness that is web technology. >;) I wrote rc-httpd in an obsessional phase 11 years ago, then stopped paying attention to it. Remarkably for one of my projects, it turned out well (for a shell-script web server). A couple of years later, sl decided to put cat-v.org onto Plan 9 with rc-httpd, and it promptly got hammered by 4channers. 9front's kernel got some fixes to handle the heavy shell-script load. I think listen(8) got the maxprocs option at that time too. cat-v.org is still on rc-httpd (and werc; a bigger set of shell scripts) so i guess it can't have been too bad, although i don't think the heavy load lasted long.

A point to note when you're configuring your virtual machines: rc-httpd and werc benefit greatly from SMP. Shell pipelines automatically take advantage of it.

* Re: [9front] drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-15 19:10             ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-07-15 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gunnells, 9front

> For such genius and beautiful OS why a slow web server. It kind of doesn’t
> make sense. Let me know if I’m missing something. Even if its file based
> shouldn’t there be some level of speed. Like hash tables seem to be
> extremely fast for lookup. Is it because they wrote httpd in one or two days?

Because it doesn't need to be fast -- at least for what the people using it
seem to need-- and given a choice between "simple, fast enough to do the job",
and "a ton of complexity spent on optimization", the former is almost always
the preference of the plan 9 community.

> Would it be better to have httpd dedicated to its own CPU and serve other files
> somewhere else. Serve files on a beefy server. Or am I thinking about that wrong.
> Should httpd be together? How does that work?

Latency hurts 9p. Probably doesn't matter if the file server is nearby, but
you don't want to put it across the internt.

> I realize I have a lot to re-learn about this. But I’m very interested.
>
> Surely this should be faster than some python based Django server running gunicorn?

Probably. If you care, should be easy enough to point one of the
many benchamrks out there at it, and see.

* Re: [9front] drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-15 17:43               ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-07-15 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

if you have 64 cores, just run httpd 64 times and roundrobin each
request to one of them...

* Re: [9front] drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-15 17:13             ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2020-07-15 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 10:02:30AM -0700, William Gunnells wrote:
> For such genius and beautiful OS why a slow web server. It kind of doesn’t make sense. Let me know if I’m missing something. Even if its file based shouldn’t there be some level of speed. Like hash tables seem to be extremely fast for lookup. Is it because they wrote httpd in one or two days?
>
> Would it be better to have httpd dedicated to its own CPU and serve other files somewhere else. Serve files on a beefy server. Or am I thinking about that wrong. Should httpd be together? How does that work?
>
> I realize I have a lot to re-learn about this. But I’m very interested.
>
> Surely this should be faster than some python based Django server running gunicorn?

nobody gives a shit about optimizing web servers

* Re: [9front] drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-15 17:02           ` William Gunnells
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: William Gunnells @ 2020-07-15 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

For such genius and beautiful OS why a slow web server. It kind of doesn’t make sense. Let me know if I’m missing something. Even if its file based shouldn’t there be some level of speed. Like hash tables seem to be extremely fast for lookup. Is it because they wrote httpd in one or two days?

Would it be better to have httpd dedicated to its own CPU and serve other files somewhere else. Serve files on a beefy server. Or am I thinking about that wrong. Should httpd be together? How does that work?

I realize I have a lot to re-learn about this. But I’m very interested.

Surely this should be faster than some python based Django server running gunicorn?

> On Jul 15, 2020, at 6:43 AM, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> to call something slow in such vague way is unscientific at best, and
> you seem agree it's slow with heavy loads.
>
> i claim that it's good enough, and i feel like you're saying the exact
> same thing, what is unfair about what i said, or where do we even
> disagree?

* Re: [9front] drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-15 13:43         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-07-15 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2020-07-15 13:21       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-07-15 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

re: httpd is slow

i think this is a little unfair.

i’m sure httpd would not stand up well to heavy loads - it wasn’t been designed for super high performance.

However i would expect it to keep up fairly well with light loads, after all it doesn't try to do too much.

imho file server performance is likely to effect it more.

-Steve

* Re: [9front] drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-15  8:15     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-07-15  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

if you don't know how to do networking with qemu some people like to
use the libvirt abstraction around it that tries to do most of these
things for you (more like vbox).

personally i think it's better to learn how to do the networking right
with bridges and IP forwarding instead of silly hacks like NAT or port
forwarding.
qemu doesn't really need to do much here, the bridging or IP routing
would need to happen on the outer OS.

httpd is slow, but for controversial pages that might be fine as
you'll have less visitors.
all that benchmarks would show is that httpd is slow, so i don't why
you want benchmarks.
i recommend rc-httpd, it's slower than httpd. it's really good.

On 7/15/20, William Gunnells <gunnells@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay I got it to work in virtual box. I struggled with qemu and tap/bridge
> to no end.
>
> I remember that virtual box handled bridge a little differently. So I gave
> it a shot and boom up and running.
>
> I do have OpenBSD on my laptop perhaps I can qemu working with tap and
> bridge.  But honestly I’m not sure what I want to do
> in the grand scheme of things.
>
> I think it would have worked without the bridge but the qemu string would
> have been long because I think I needed to open up a range of ports for
> ingress and egress.
>
> Thanks for all the help
>
> Does httpd work and is it fast I was thinking of running this in AWS on a
> custom AMI at some point
>
> Just looking for something different and something that could potentially be
> fast. I plan on serving controversial pages.
>
> Its just hard to find bench marks but more importantly I didn’t want this to
> be the usual nix distributions.
>

>> On Jul 13, 2020, at 5:25 PM, Amavect <amavect@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> oh my net audit show everything seems to be fine except
>>> ether=3D525400123456 does not belong to any network interface
>>> no fs=3D entry  (needed for pls boot)=20
>> Refer to my example from my last message and modify to your own setup.
>> You have duplicate sys=cirno lines, the cpu= line is not a '=', and your
>> dom should be 9front, not cirno.9front.
>> Your ipgw and dns is your router's ip address, which is probably 10.0.2.1
>> No fs is fine if you're not planning to need tls boot.
>>
>>> auth server seems to be fine i think it reads
>>> someone is listening on port 567
>> That's good. The cpu server is trying to listen for connections.
>> Clearly not succeeding, though.
>>
>>> auth/asaudit shows 1 problem
>>> BAD: key in keyfs does not match nvram
>>> trying nvram key for 9front@glenda with factotum
>>> GOOD: key in factotum matches nvram
>> I'm guessing you didn't set up glenda's password with auth/changeuser
>> Or, if you did, the key didn't match. Run auth/wrkey again.
>> Refer to the fqa links that I had put in my last message.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Amavect

* Re: [9front] drawterm stuck
@ 2020-07-15  6:05   ` William Gunnells