* Smtp greylist possible missing feature?
@ 2020-08-16  9:27 sirjofri+ml-9front
From: sirjofri+ml-9front @ 2020-08-16  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hey all,

I suspect there's a missing feature (or bug?) in 9front smtp implementation. Let me describe what I experience.

When I send a mail (let's call it mail A) to another specific mail server (not all, only some) via SMTP the mail does not arrive. There's no error message (smtp response), also no response mail.

When sending another mail B to the same server (same recipient in this case) the mail does also not arrive, but I receive an smtp error (a mail from /dev/null) about mail A and some greylisting stuff. Weird enough some mails to the same address _do_ arrive (who knows why).

I suspect that these servers send some of these "try later" fail messages ("greylisting"), and 9front smtp implementation ignores these (or can't handle them properly).

Maybe it is somehow related to the date bug? (E. g. it wants to send later, but that later is already in the past or something like that)

Anyways, mail is a pain. The simple protocol that's so easy is bloated with anti spam stuff and many things don't work like intended. I understand why most users use just existing mail setups (and I think I'll think about switching back, too). But on the other hand, it's good to collect enough resources so we can have some stable and modern-capable mail 9front mail implementation.

I hope this message is somehow helpful and one step further in 9front development. I know there's lots to do and not many people contributing. Still I hope to contribute good information and reports and patches.

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] Smtp greylist possible missing feature?
@ 2020-08-16  9:31 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2020-08-16  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 09:27:46AM +0000, sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I suspect there's a missing feature (or bug?) in 9front smtp implementation. Let me describe what I experience.
>
> When I send a mail (let's call it mail A) to another specific mail server (not all, only some) via SMTP the mail does not arrive. There's no error message (smtp response), also no response mail.
>
> When sending another mail B to the same server (same recipient in this case) the mail does also not arrive, but I receive an smtp error (a mail from /dev/null) about mail A and some greylisting stuff. Weird enough some mails to the same address _do_ arrive (who knows why).
>
> I suspect that these servers send some of these "try later" fail messages ("greylisting"), and 9front smtp implementation ignores these (or can't handle them properly).
>
> Maybe it is somehow related to the date bug? (E. g. it wants to send later, but that later is already in the past or something like that)
>
> Anyways, mail is a pain. The simple protocol that's so easy is bloated with anti spam stuff and many things don't work like intended. I understand why most users use just existing mail setups (and I think I'll think about switching back, too). But on the other hand, it's good to collect enough resources so we can have some stable and modern-capable mail 9front mail implementation.
>
> I hope this message is somehow helpful and one step further in 9front development. I know there's lots to do and not many people contributing. Still I hope to contribute good information and reports and patches.
>
> sirjofri

What responses do you get from the remote servers?  Not the local
delivery failure reports, but the actual SMTP responses from them.  This
sounds like we're treating transient failures as permanent on occasion.

khm

* Re: [9front] Smtp greylist possible missing feature?
@ 2020-08-16  9:37   ` sirjofri+ml-9front
From: sirjofri+ml-9front @ 2020-08-16  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt H Maier

Hey khm,

This is a copy of the /dev/null message. I can provide infirmation from the logs when I'm back on my machine. (I masked the recipient address)

Wed Aug 12 12:11:46 CES 2020 connect to net!XXXdomainXXX.de (mx02.goneo.de:82.100.220.162) rcptto:
450 4.2.0 <XXXuserXXX@XXXdomainXXX.de>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisted, see http://postgrey.schweikert.ch/help/XXXdomainXXX.de.html
Thu Aug 13 16:02:45 CES 2020 connect to net!XXXdomainXXX.de (mx02.goneo.de:82.100.220.162) rcptto:

@ 2020-08-30 15:38     ` sirjofri+ml-9front
From: sirjofri+ml-9front @ 2020-08-30 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hey all,

it seems like the first rejected message is queued and smtp tries to send it again later when I send another mail. Something like that:

Mail A send.
Mail A rejected. Queued.
Mail B send. Mail A send again.
Mail A rejected or delivered. Mail B rejected, queued or delivered.

Which is bad, because greylisted queued mail should be sent after some time. I rarely send mails so it's a matter of days until the rejected and queued mails are sent again.

At least that's what it seems like.

@ 2020-08-31  1:19       ` Alex Musolino
From: Alex Musolino @ 2020-08-31  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> At least that's what it seems like.

Sounds plausible.  Have a look in qer(8); there's an example cron
job at the bottom for periodically (re-)processing the mail queues.

* Re: [9front] Smtp greylist possible missing feature?
@ 2020-08-31 13:49         ` sirjofri+ml-9front
From: sirjofri+ml-9front @ 2020-08-31 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Musolino

Hey Alex,

31.08.2020 05:20:16 Alex Musolino <alex@musolino.id.au>:
> Sounds plausible.  Have a look in qer(8); there's an example cron
> job at the bottom for periodically (re-)processing the mail queues.

Thank you very much for this hint. I followed the notes of qer and it works now.

To anyone reading this, I was unable to create a /cron/none/cron file with auth/cron -c. Creating the file as glenda and changing ownership didn't work, too, so I created the file like this:

Write to cwfs.cmd:
create /cron/none none none 755 d
create /cron/none/cron none none 666

And then I was able to write to this file as glenda (not as none!) and add my line.

Since then I tested greylisting testers and also one of my recipients and it seems to work. At least their mail server responds as expected.

Thank you for your help. I'll write that up later to help others (configuring qer properly etc).

sirjofri