* proposal: disable most of /rc/bin/services/tcp* by default
@ 2015-05-20 18:16 sl
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: sl @ 2015-05-20 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Why are so many services enabled by default?

I propose to disable the following in the default install by moving
them from tcp* to !tcp*.  Functionality can be enabled by simply
copying !tcp* back to tcp* (and following whatever other procedures
were already required).

Let's turn these off:

	tcp110	# pop3
	tcp143	# imap
	tcp21	# ftp
	tcp23	# telnet
	tcp25	# smtp
	tcp53	# dns
	tcp513	# rlogind
	tcp993	# imap over tls
	tcp995	# pop3 over tls

In addition: Items that are left enabled by default (and really, even
the ones disabled by default) should be checked to ensure that the
installer creates the log files they attempt to write to.

I volunteer to do this if no one objects.

sl