* [Caml-list] GSoC preparedness
@ 2015-02-06 15:35 Yotam Barnoy
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2015-02-06 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey everyone

Another year has gone by, and Google Summer of Code is upon us again.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we're ready to participate this year
either (sign up dates for mentoring organizations are Feb 9th to the 20th).
After seeing some comments on reddit, I have taken the liberty of
establishing 2 pages on the ocaml.org wiki:

- GSoC ideas (https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/wiki/GSoC-ideas): this is
a list of ideas for projects that students could do. It needs to be filled
up and then maintained, so that by next year at least, we actually have
something to show google.

- GSoC Application (https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/wiki/GSoC-application):
a hastily filled out application covering the questions google expects
answered. This should also be maintained so that it's pretty much ready to
go.

Please fill out these pages as much as you can -- particularly the ideas
page. I haven't listed any project ideas myself, but I tried to write some
guidelines for the kinds of things that could be used as projects.

-Yotam

* Re: [Caml-list] GSoC preparedness
@ 2015-02-06 15:42 ` Ashish Agarwal
From: Ashish Agarwal @ 2015-02-06 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

What you've written implies that all projects should regard the OCaml
compiler itself. Is that the intention? Or could this support projects
using the OCaml language for other purposes? What other purposes? General
tools of use to the OCaml community, or just anything that happens to be
implemented in OCaml.

Thanks for providing a place to collect these ideas.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Yotam Barnoy <yotambarnoy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone
>
> Another year has gone by, and Google Summer of Code is upon us again.
> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we're ready to participate this year
> either (sign up dates for mentoring organizations are Feb 9th to the 20th).
> After seeing some comments on reddit, I have taken the liberty of
> establishing 2 pages on the ocaml.org wiki:
>
> - GSoC ideas (https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/wiki/GSoC-ideas): this
> is a list of ideas for projects that students could do. It needs to be
> filled up and then maintained, so that by next year at least, we actually
> have something to show google.
>
> - GSoC Application (
> https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/wiki/GSoC-application): a hastily
> filled out application covering the questions google expects answered. This
> should also be maintained so that it's pretty much ready to go.
>
> Please fill out these pages as much as you can -- particularly the ideas
> page. I haven't listed any project ideas myself, but I tried to write some
> guidelines for the kinds of things that could be used as projects.
>
> -Yotam

* Re: [Caml-list] GSoC preparedness
@ 2015-02-06 15:51   ` Yotam Barnoy
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2015-02-06 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe the way it works (though I could be wrong) is that an open-source
organization that signs up is supposed to have projects that concerns its
codebase or related components. That means either the toolchain or some
related tool like a debugger or perhaps something like Merlin. Perhaps it
could even extend to a library that can be shown to be extremely useful to
the community -- something like Lwt or Batteries.

It would be harder to make the case for something that's purely an
application on top of OCaml, though I do believe that is possible once an
organization is more established with GSoC, for example Xen getting Mirage
into GSoC -- Anil would probably know more about that kind of thing.

Again, I could be wrong about this, so if anyone has better information,
please correct me.

@ 2015-02-06 16:17     ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2015-02-06 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for starting this discussion.

I've been considering the idea of preparing an OCaml GSoC application
for Summer 2016. (It's too early to tell but I'm considering
volunteering as a mentor for 2016, while I already know very well that
this would be impossible for 2015.)

The previous effort led by Sylvain Le Gall and Cristophe Troestler was
in 2011. You can find what they collected here:
  https://forge.ocamlcore.org/plugins/mediawiki/wiki/gsoc-team/index.php/Main_Page

I will try to collect some nice GSoC ideas for OCaml and add them to
the wiki page.

@ 2015-02-06 16:28       ` Yotam Barnoy
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2015-02-06 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for pointing me to the previous effort, Gabriel. Some of that
material could probably be reproduced in ocaml.org's wiki, though the
proposed projects obviously need to be updated.

Do we know why we were rejected in 2011? Was the ideas page just not
completed in time, or is it just a case of being rejected without being
told why?

@ 2015-02-06 16:33         ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2015-02-06 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

The feedback Sylvain got from Google at the time is that the idea page
should be, quote, "more well-organized and more fleshed out for the
students who would be visiting to get ideas".

(Note: Sylvain is now working at Google himself so is prevented by
company policy to work on organizing a new application.)

By the way, google employees may vouch for applications, and their
support may be helpful at the time of the actual application. Other
GSoc communities can also vouch, so we could consider asking eg. the
LLVM project for support. I think those are more like details that can
be discussed at the time of the actual application, say in January
2016.

@ 2015-02-06 16:50           ` Yotam Barnoy
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2015-02-06 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK yeah -- the details of vouching can definitely be worked out closer to
the date, but projects should be suggested and maintained even starting
now. If we push it off, it'll just get forgotten about, and project ideas
need time to be worked out.

Just to clarify, I think the main problem google had with the old project
page is that the presentation was lacking. Everything is linked, so you
have to do a lot of clicking to get to the ideas, every link is followed by
the word 'draft' for some reason, and some links are to pages that don't
exist, which really gives a bad impression. I don't think it was far off
from being accepted though, because I know the bar and it's not set very
high. For example, look at this page of the organization I used to mentor
for a while back (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/GSoC_Ideas). You want
everything on one page, with links to more details where possible, and no
dead links(!). I think it's really as silly as getting the presentation
right, since google has to sift through 1000s of submissions.

@ 2015-02-08 19:34     ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2015-02-08 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

My experience with GSoC is that they look for a combination of breadth and preparedness, as well as selecting a few smaller organisations that are different every year.  I prefer mentoring in these internship programs for projects that use OCaml as a means rather than an end, as the language will improve just by more people using its ecosystem and tools.  It's usually counterproductive to expect interns to dive in and fix core compiler bugs, whereas a larger percentage could very valuably get started on things like OPAM, js_of_ocaml or Mirage.

Mirage/Xen will definitely be putting in an application this year again, and anyone interested in doing an OCaml related project is very welcome to mail me a suggestion or add it directly to:
https://github.com/mirage/mirage-www/wiki/Pioneer-Projects <https://github.com/mirage/mirage-www/wiki/Pioneer-Projects>

It would be great to see an OCaml application as well, of course, although it might be time better spent organising a page that is maintained on an ongoing basis rather than just for the purposes of GSoC.

best,
Anil

@ 2015-02-10 12:36     ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2015-02-10 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Couple of ideas:

·       Android support for OCaml.

·       Replace the backend of GLSurf (which currently generates C code and compiles it with GCC) with a generic library that uses LLVM for run-time compilation of generated code.