* [Caml-list] Abbreviating module paths - something like "open X as Y"
@ 2015-11-19 10:34 Soegtrop, Michael
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Soegtrop, Michael @ 2015-11-19 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear OCaml Users,

I wonder if there is a way to abbreviate module paths. Something like

open <module-path> as <acronym>

I usually find it more readable to have a 2 or 3 letter acronym for a module name than having the complete module name or no module name at all. Is there a way to do this in OCaml?

Best regards,

Michael
Intel Deutschland GmbH
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Christian Lamprechter
Registered Office: Munich

* Re: [Caml-list] Abbreviating module paths - something like "open X as Y"
@ 2015-11-19 10:35 ` David House
From: David House @ 2015-11-19 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

The usual way is "module X = Y".

@ 2015-11-19 10:36 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2015-11-19 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indeed, you can use

  module Foo = Bar.Baz

(There is special support for this path-naming-only special case of module
declaration in the type-checker, that makes it work better in some cases.)

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Soegtrop, Michael <

@ 2015-11-19 10:37 ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2015-11-19 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 11/19/2015 11:34 AM, Soegtrop, Michael wrote:
> Dear OCaml Users,
>
> I wonder if there is a way to abbreviate module paths. Something like
>
> open <module-path> as <acronym>

module L = List
[...]
L.length [1;2;3]

It was advised to me on this same list, several years ago.

--
Regards,
Francois.

* RE: [Caml-list] Abbreviating module paths - something like "open X as Y"
@ 2015-11-19 10:48   ` Soegtrop, Michael
From: Soegtrop, Michael @ 2015-11-19 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear David, Gabriel, Francois,

thanks a lot for the quick answer!

> module L = List
> [...]
> L.length [1;2;3]

Quite obvious if you know it ;-) Maybe a hint in the reference manual section "Opening a module path" would help others.