* [Caml-list] Announcement: Equeue-2.0 (also about Shell pkg)
@ 2004-01-04 18:01 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2004-01-04 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

Although it has been already available since December 6, the
announcement of Equeue-2.0 was still missing. Now, here it is.

The list of changes:

- This release incorporates the modules of the previous Shell
  package (which is no longer continued as such). You can
  now run shell commands within a Unixqueue.

- A new concept is introduced as a means to structure bigger
  event-based programs: engines. After the engine is attached
  to a Unixqueue, it performs a previously specified task in
  an autonomous way, and when the task is done, it reports
  the result. It is possible to combine basic engines to
  larger engines (as a program construction principle).

- Documentation is available in ocamldoc format

- There is a subversion repository:
  https://gps.dynxs.de/svn/lib-equeue

Documentation is available here:
http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/documentation/equeue/

Download:
http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/equeue-2.0.tar.gz

A lot of fun,

Gerd

* Re: [Caml-list] Announcement: Equeue-2.0 (also about Shell pkg)
@ 2004-01-04 18:43 ` Sylvain LE GALL
From: Sylvain LE GALL @ 2004-01-04 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:01:45PM +0100, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Although it has been already available since December 6, the
> announcement of Equeue-2.0 was still missing. Now, here it is.
>
> The list of changes:
>
> - This release incorporates the modules of the previous Shell
>   package (which is no longer continued as such). You can
>   now run shell commands within a Unixqueue.
>
> - A new concept is introduced as a means to structure bigger
>   event-based programs: engines. After the engine is attached
>   to a Unixqueue, it performs a previously specified task in
>   an autonomous way, and when the task is done, it reports
>   the result. It is possible to combine basic engines to
>   larger engines (as a program construction principle).
>
> - Documentation is available in ocamldoc format
>
> - There is a subversion repository:
>   https://gps.dynxs.de/svn/lib-equeue
>
> Documentation is available here:
> http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/documentation/equeue/
>
> Download:
> http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/equeue-2.0.tar.gz
>
> A lot of fun,
>
> Gerd

Hello,

Is there any plan to support Windows and MacOS 9 platform ?

Regard
Sylvain LE GALL

* Re: [Caml-list] Announcement: Equeue-2.0 (also about Shell pkg)
@ 2004-01-04 19:20   ` Remi Vanicat
From: Remi Vanicat @ 2004-01-04 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

"Sylvain LE GALL" <sylvain.le-gall@polytechnique.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:01:45PM +0100, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Although it has been already available since December 6, the
>> announcement of Equeue-2.0 was still missing. Now, here it is.

[...]

> Hello,
>
> Is there any plan to support Windows and MacOS 9 platform ?

And to attach an unixqueue to lablgtk (or to some generalization of
other event system) ?

--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: [Caml-list] Announcement: Equeue-2.0 (also about Shell pkg)
@ 2004-01-04 19:25   ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2004-01-04 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain LE GALL; +Cc: caml-list

On Son, 2004-01-04 at 19:43, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:01:45PM +0100, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Although it has been already available since December 6, the
> > announcement of Equeue-2.0 was still missing. Now, here it is.
> >
> > The list of changes:
> >
> > - This release incorporates the modules of the previous Shell
> >   package (which is no longer continued as such). You can
> >   now run shell commands within a Unixqueue.
> >
> > - A new concept is introduced as a means to structure bigger
> >   event-based programs: engines. After the engine is attached
> >   to a Unixqueue, it performs a previously specified task in
> >   an autonomous way, and when the task is done, it reports
> >   the result. It is possible to combine basic engines to
> >   larger engines (as a program construction principle).
> >
> > - Documentation is available in ocamldoc format
> >
> > - There is a subversion repository:
> >   https://gps.dynxs.de/svn/lib-equeue
> >
> > Documentation is available here:
> > http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/documentation/equeue/
> >
> > Download:
> > http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/equeue-2.0.tar.gz
> >
> > A lot of fun,
> >
> > Gerd
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there any plan to support Windows and MacOS 9 platform ?

No, because it would be too difficult. Equeue depends on a generic
Unix.select function that works for all kinds of file descriptors, and
the Shell module is even more Unixish (uses fork/exec). Cygwin would be
possible, I don't know if it already works.

@ 2004-01-04 19:52     ` Sylvain LE GALL
From: Sylvain LE GALL @ 2004-01-04 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:25:30PM +0100, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> On Son, 2004-01-04 at 19:43, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:01:45PM +0100, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > Although it has been already available since December 6, the
> > > announcement of Equeue-2.0 was still missing. Now, here it is.
> > >
> > > The list of changes:
> > >
> > > - This release incorporates the modules of the previous Shell
> > >   package (which is no longer continued as such). You can
> > >   now run shell commands within a Unixqueue.
> > >
> > > - A new concept is introduced as a means to structure bigger
> > >   event-based programs: engines. After the engine is attached
> > >   to a Unixqueue, it performs a previously specified task in
> > >   an autonomous way, and when the task is done, it reports
> > >   the result. It is possible to combine basic engines to
> > >   larger engines (as a program construction principle).
> > >
> > > - Documentation is available in ocamldoc format
> > >
> > > - There is a subversion repository:
> > >   https://gps.dynxs.de/svn/lib-equeue
> > >
> > > Documentation is available here:
> > > http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/documentation/equeue/
> > >
> > > Download:
> > > http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/equeue-2.0.tar.gz
> > >
> > > A lot of fun,
> > >
> > > Gerd
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there any plan to support Windows and MacOS 9 platform ?
>
> No, because it would be too difficult. Equeue depends on a generic
> Unix.select function that works for all kinds of file descriptors, and
> the Shell module is even more Unixish (uses fork/exec). Cygwin would be
> possible, I don't know if it already works.

Sorry i miss the thread,

The question was about portability of findlib.

Regard
Sylvain LE GALL

* Re: [Caml-list] Announcement: Equeue-2.0 (also about Shell pkg)
@ 2004-01-04 20:27       ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2004-01-04 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain LE GALL; +Cc: caml-list

On Son, 2004-01-04 at 20:52, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:25:30PM +0100, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Is there any plan to support Windows and MacOS 9 platform ?
> >
> > No, because it would be too difficult. Equeue depends on a generic
> > Unix.select function that works for all kinds of file descriptors, and
> > the Shell module is even more Unixish (uses fork/exec). Cygwin would be
> > possible, I don't know if it already works.
> >

> Sorry i miss the thread,
>
> The question was about portability of findlib.

There are chances that a port is quite easy, I mean that not too many
functions of the Unix module are used. For a previous version of
findlib, there was a port to MinGW. If somebody sends a patch to me, I
will try to incorporate it.

@ 2004-01-04 20:49     ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2004-01-04 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remi Vanicat; +Cc: caml-list

On Son, 2004-01-04 at 20:20, Remi Vanicat wrote:
> "Sylvain LE GALL" <sylvain.le-gall@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:01:45PM +0100, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> Although it has been already available since December 6, the
> >> announcement of Equeue-2.0 was still missing. Now, here it is.
> >>

> [...]
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there any plan to support Windows and MacOS 9 platform ?
>
> And to attach an unixqueue to lablgtk (or to some generalization of
> other event system) ?

This would be possible when lablgtk allows it to watch file descriptors.
This could be done by the GMain.Io module (if it really works, never
tested that).

Equeue still includes the special tcl integration. Of course, this
implementation can be generalised for every kind of event loop that
exports functions to watch file descriptors. Is somebody really
interested in such a feature?

@ 2004-01-05  3:03       ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2004-01-05  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: Remi Vanicat, caml-list

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 07:49, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> On Son, 2004-01-04 at 20:20, Remi Vanicat wrote:
> >
> > And to attach an unixqueue to lablgtk (or to some generalization of
> > other event system) ?
>
> This would be possible when lablgtk allows it to watch file descriptors.
> This could be done by the GMain.Io module (if it really works, never
> tested that).
>
> Equeue still includes the special tcl integration. Of course, this
> implementation can be generalised for every kind of event loop that
> exports functions to watch file descriptors. Is somebody really
> interested in such a feature?

I have lablgtk. It would appear Redhat -- not to mention
the GNU people -- regard Gtk as the standard GUI, and
consider Tk obsolete. Tk isn't installed on RH9 by default
and there is no install option to include it.

I agree. I don't run Tcl/Tk as a matter of principle.
It sucks .. :-)

[Funny .. the man pages are still there .. but package
integration was never Un*x's strong point ..]

--
John Max Skaller, mailto:skaller@tpg.com.au
snail:25/85c Wigram Rd, Glebe, NSW 2037, Australia.

* Re: [Caml-list] Tcl/Tk
@ 2004-01-05  9:33           ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-01-05  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:13:11AM -0500, Adolf Mathias wrote:
> I guess that a native OCaml toolkit would be a real killer.

Oh no ... not another one.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
MOD_CAML lets you run type-safe Objective CAML programs inside the Apache

* [Caml-list] Tcl/Tk
@ 2004-01-05 14:13         ` Adolf Mathias
From: Adolf Mathias @ 2004-01-05 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

skaller wrote:

>I have lablgtk. It would appear Redhat -- not to mention
>the GNU people -- regard Gtk as the standard GUI, and
>consider Tk obsolete. Tk isn't installed on RH9 by default
>and there is no install option to include it.
>
>I agree. I don't run Tcl/Tk as a matter of principle.
>It sucks .. :-)

Don't want to start a religious war here, but I beg to disagree - When
Tcl/Tk appeared in the early 90s, it was quick and usable on the Sun
stations in our lab (<100MHz, 32MByte if I remember well), and allowed
you to do some amazing things due to the tight integration of the
windowing toolkit and Tcl. And the canvas is still a wonderful piece of
software. Gtk on the other hand has a very sluggish feeling on my
Pentium 2.4 GHz notebook with 512 MByte, and the C API is just awful
when it comes to hooking widgets and signals together - nowhere as
simple as Tcl's bind commands for widgets and canvas items. And then the
config database... OK, I have to admit that design-wise, some of the GTK
skins look a bit nicer that the clunky Tk widgets ;)
 I guess that a native OCaml toolkit would be a real killer.

Dolfi

* Re: [Caml-list] Tcl/Tk
@ 2004-01-05 14:53           ` Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2004-01-05 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adolf Mathias; +Cc: caml-list

> I guess that a native OCaml toolkit would be a real killer.

What would be nice is an OCaml/Tk !!

replace completely Tcl by Ocaml :-)

--
Christophe Raffalli
Université de Savoie

tél: (33) 4 79 75 81 03
fax: (33) 4 79 75 87 42
mail: Christophe.Raffalli@univ-savoie.fr
www: http://www.lama.univ-savoie.fr/~RAFFALLI
IMPORTANT: this mail is signed using PGP/MIME
At least Enigmail/Mozilla, mutt or evolution
can check this signature

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 252 bytes --]

* Re: [Caml-list] Tcl/Tk
@ 2004-01-06  0:09             ` Adolf Mathias
From: Adolf Mathias @ 2004-01-06  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Christophe Raffalli wrote:

>> I guess that a native OCaml toolkit would be a real killer.
>

> What would be nice is an OCaml/Tk !!
>
> replace completely Tcl by Ocaml :-)

This is how one of the Perl/Tk-bindings came into existence. An amazing
guy called Nick Ing-Simmons once stripped Tcl out of Tk and replaced all
Tcl references by an abstract interpreter and neutral arguments etc.,
and this semi-automatically with an ingenious Perl script!! I just
downloaded the Perl/Tk stuff from CPAN to check it out again, but it
seems that the original approach was abandoned, and the whole thing
seems too close to Perl and Tcl than it was in order to be useful for a
direct Ocaml-binding :-(

One point of attack might be the implementation of Tcl_EvalObjEx which
apparently is the boiler plate for Tcl evaluation as a C-Ocaml-interface
and provide a mapping between Tcl_Obj's and OCaml values. But then, the
list of Tcl references inside Tk is still intimidatingly long (try gcc
/usr/lib/tk8.3/tkAppInit.c -o test -ltk and watch the lovely linker
error messages), and Tcl now provides a lot more non-windowing
functionality to Tk, which probably caused the initial Perl/Tk-approach
to be abandoned. Just guessing. Maybe some enlightened mind comes up
with a surprising solution ;-)

* Re: [Caml-list] Tcl/Tk
@ 2004-01-06 10:30             ` Thomas Fischbacher
From: Thomas Fischbacher @ 2004-01-06 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Raffalli; +Cc: Adolf Mathias, caml-list

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Christophe Raffalli wrote:

> > I guess that a native OCaml toolkit would be a real killer.
>
> What would be nice is an OCaml/Tk !!
>
> replace completely Tcl by Ocaml :-)

One of the problems I always had with van Osterhout's Tk was that it is
quite hard (impossible?) to get a widget in which one can do "freestyle"
drawing - maybe even OpenGL. Did I miss something essential?

--
regards,               tf@cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de              (o_
 Thomas Fischbacher -  http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~tf  //\