* [Caml-list] interesting (unexpected) sideeffect
@ 2011-09-13 11:35 Matej Kosik
From: Matej Kosik @ 2011-09-13 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I have noticed that when I compile my program with

	ocamlc -vmthread ... threads.cma ...

options, then

	Unix.set_nonblock

function does not work. I.e. Unix.recv function called with a given
socket can block. Is this an intended behavior?

* Re: [Caml-list] interesting (unexpected) sideeffect
@ 2011-09-13 18:44 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2011-09-13 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matej Kosik; +Cc: caml-list

Am Dienstag, den 13.09.2011, 13:35 +0200 schrieb Matej Kosik:
> Hi,
>
> I have noticed that when I compile my program with
>
> 	ocamlc -vmthread ... threads.cma ...
>
> options, then
>
> 	Unix.set_nonblock
>
> function does not work. I.e. Unix.recv function called with a given
> socket can block. Is this an intended behavior?

Maybe not intended, but accepted (I reported that already years ago).
The VM threads have serious limits, and are not meant as a replacement
for kernel threads. So, some properties of file descriptors are always
reset on occasion (VM context switch, or Unix.select). I guess it is too
difficult to get this right.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.
*** Searching for new projects! Need consulting for system
*** programming in Ocaml? Gerd Stolpmann can help you.