* [Caml-list] Cash 0.10
@ 2002-06-05 17:18 Bruno.Verlyck
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bruno.Verlyck @ 2002-06-05 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-announce

I'm pleased to announce the first release (0.10) of Cash, the Caml Shell.

* What is Cash ?

Cash is a Caml implementation of (an as large as possible subset of) the
API of Scsh (0.5.3), the Scheme Shell by Olin Shivers.  It's designed for
writing standalone Unix programs and shell scripts (but rather *not* for
interactive command use). It spans a wide range of application, from
"script" applications usually handled with perl or sh, to more standard
systems applications usually written in C.

* Release 0.10

This is the first public release of Cash.  I see it as beta, but I don't
expect a lot of bugs :-).  For more information, see:
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/cash/
Download the most recently distributed source:
 ftp://ftp.inria.fr/INRIA/Projects/cristal/cash/cash.tar.gz
Stay in sync with latest development / bug fixes (CVS archive):
 http://camlcvs.inria.fr/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cash/
Documentation:
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/cash/latest/doc/doc.dvi
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/cash/latest/doc/doc.ps
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/cash/latest/doc/index.html

* Bugs

Bug reports, comments, doc typos, and contributions are very welcome:
drop me a mail at Bruno.Verlyck@inria.fr.

Have fun,
Bruno.

* Re: [Caml-list] Cash 0.10
@ 2002-06-05 23:38 ` Michael Vanier
From: Michael Vanier @ 2002-06-05 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno.Verlyck; +Cc: caml-announce

I can't download from the ftp site (permission denied).

Mike

> From: Bruno.Verlyck@inria.fr
> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 19:18:47 +0200
>
> I'm pleased to announce the first release (0.10) of Cash, the Caml Shell.
>
> * What is Cash ?
>
> Cash is a Caml implementation of (an as large as possible subset of) the
> API of Scsh (0.5.3), the Scheme Shell by Olin Shivers.  It's designed for
> writing standalone Unix programs and shell scripts (but rather *not* for
> interactive command use). It spans a wide range of application, from
> "script" applications usually handled with perl or sh, to more standard
> systems applications usually written in C.
>
> * Release 0.10
>
> This is the first public release of Cash.  I see it as beta, but I don't
> expect a lot of bugs :-).  For more information, see:
>  http://pauillac.inria.fr/cash/
> Download the most recently distributed source:
>  ftp://ftp.inria.fr/INRIA/Projects/cristal/cash/cash.tar.gz
> Stay in sync with latest development / bug fixes (CVS archive):
>  http://camlcvs.inria.fr/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cash/
> Documentation:
>  http://pauillac.inria.fr/cash/latest/doc/doc.dvi
>  http://pauillac.inria.fr/cash/latest/doc/doc.ps
>  http://pauillac.inria.fr/cash/latest/doc/index.html
>
> * Bugs
>
> Bug reports, comments, doc typos, and contributions are very welcome:
> drop me a mail at Bruno.Verlyck@inria.fr.
>
> Have fun,
> Bruno.

* Re: [Caml-list] Cash 0.10
@ 2002-06-06  9:37 ` Bruno.Verlyck
From: Bruno.Verlyck @ 2002-06-06  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno.Verlyck; +Cc: caml-announce

The broken link to cash.tar.gz has been fixed.  I apologize for the
inconvenience (things will be better next time).  Thanks to all those
who pointed out the problem, and for your interest in Cash.

Bruno.

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 19:18:47 +0200, I wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the first release (0.10) of Cash, the Caml Shell.
[..]

@ 2002-07-19  5:15 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-07-19  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Bruno.Verlyck@inria.fr writes:

> I'm pleased to announce the first release (0.10) of Cash, the Caml Shell.

Just curious: is it possible to build (some subset of) Cash under Win32?
Also, does it need Ocaml/Ocaml libraries when running? Can I use Cash on
the computer where Ocaml itself is not installed?

Dmitry Bely

* Re: [Caml-list] Cash 0.10
@ 2002-07-19 14:05   ` Bruno.Verlyck
From: Bruno.Verlyck @ 2002-07-19 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dbely; +Cc: caml-list

   From: Dmitry Bely <dbely@mail.ru>
   Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:15:28 +0400

   Bruno.Verlyck@inria.fr writes:
   > I'm pleased to announce the first release (0.10) of Cash, the Caml Shell.
   Just curious: is it possible to build (some subset of) Cash under
   Win32?
I'm afraid you'd have to use Cygwin (and the CVS sources, or the next
version).  Cash aims at providing another Posix interface, oriented
towards shell programming: you must be able to fork...

As for a subset: the present decomposition of Cash in modules is very
ad-hoc: the only exported interface include all of them, and most
modules are related to a slice of the documentation, but they often
depend on others.  One could make a much finer work, to be able to
link only some parts of Cash.  But:
- it's a lot of work (and the documentation should be restructured);
- I'd better add the missing parts of scsh, and a syntax for pipelines;
- I have no experience of Windows programming, and am not really
  interested in it (sorry).
All this could evolve if there's enough interest, but not in a near
future.

   Also, does it need Ocaml/Ocaml libraries when running?  Can I use
   Cash on the computer where Ocaml itself is not installed?
I didn't tried it.  You have 2 ways of using Cash:
- you can make stand-alone executables, with -custom; this should
  work, but you have to compile each of your applications;
- you use it in script mode, so it uses a Caml top-level.  For any
  reference to the Caml standard library, the top-level must have
  access to the .cmi; e.g., if I just type:
    # String.length;;
  under a fresh top-level, tracing it shows that it reads strings.cmi:
    stat64("string.cmi", 0xbfffeb20)        = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    stat64("/usr/local/lib/ocaml-3.04/contrib/string.cmi", 0xbfffeb20) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    stat64("/usr/local/lib/ocaml-3.04/contrib/string.cmi", 0xbfffeb20) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    stat64("string.cmi", 0xbfffeb20)        = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    stat64("/usr/local/lib/ocaml-3.04/string.cmi", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0600, st_size=3069, ...}) = 0
    open("/usr/local/lib/ocaml-3.04/string.cmi", O_RDONLY) = 3
    read(3, "Caml1999I008\204\225\246\276\0\0\v\220\0\0\2M\0\0\10I\0"..., 4096) = 3069
    close(3)                                = 0
    write(1, "- : string -> int = <fun>\n", 26) = 26

  So for script mode, the answer is no.

Bruno.

* Re: [Caml-list] Cash 0.10
@ 2002-07-19 20:29     ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-07-19 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno.Verlyck; +Cc: caml-list

Bruno.Verlyck@inria.fr writes:

>    > I'm pleased to announce the first release (0.10) of Cash, the Caml Shell.
>    Just curious: is it possible to build (some subset of) Cash under
>    Win32?
> I'm afraid you'd have to use Cygwin (and the CVS sources, or the next
> version).

That's enough, at least for now. Is CVS version relatively stable under
Cygwin?

[...]
>    Also, does it need Ocaml/Ocaml libraries when running?  Can I use
>    Cash on the computer where Ocaml itself is not installed?
> I didn't tried it.  You have 2 ways of using Cash:
> - you can make stand-alone executables, with -custom; this should
>   work, but you have to compile each of your applications;
> - you use it in script mode, so it uses a Caml top-level.  For any
>   reference to the Caml standard library, the top-level must have
>   access to the .cmi;
[...]
>   So for script mode, the answer is no.

Thank you, now it's clear. And the Ocaml question: why "-custom" flag,
passed to ocamlmktop, does not link all Ocaml libraries into the resulting
executable? Am I missing something?

Dmitry Bely

* Re: [Caml-list] Cash 0.10
@ 2002-07-22 17:50       ` Bruno.Verlyck
From: Bruno.Verlyck @ 2002-07-22 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dbely; +Cc: caml-list

   From: Dmitry Bely <dbely@mail.ru>
   Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:29:00 +0400

   Bruno.Verlyck@inria.fr writes:
   > I'm afraid you'd have to use Cygwin (and the CVS sources, or the
   > next version).
   That's enough, at least for now.  Is CVS version relatively stable
   under Cygwin?
It should compile (I only check from time to time -- please mail me if
it doesn't).  Stable... I presume multiplying the probabilities of not
finding a bug in Cash and Cygwin, should give you some kind of
measure :-)

   >   So for script mode, the answer is no.
   Thank you, now it's clear.  And the Ocaml question: why "-custom"
   flag, passed to ocamlmktop, does not link all Ocaml libraries into
   the resulting executable?  Am I missing something?
I thought the very purpose of a top-level was to let me wrote my
libraries after having made this top-level.  Well, OK, the other point
is that, IIRC, .cma don't include .cmi.  I don't remember exactly why.

Bruno.