* [Caml-list] Unix.file_descr -> int ???
@ 2002-06-11 14:31 Max Kirillov
From: Max Kirillov @ 2002-06-11 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello.

Suddently, I'm unable to recover file descriptor from Unix's
file_descr. At least, Unix module does not contain any
function doing that and the type is abstract.

What was a reason for the limitaion?
Is there some way (apart from hacking ocaml) to do that?

Max.

* Re: [Caml-list] Unix.file_descr -> int ???
@ 2002-06-12  9:53 Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2002-06-12  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: garrigue, max630; +Cc: caml-list

>From: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>

>Windows version:
>
>let dump_handle (h : Unix.file_descr) =
>  let obj = Obj.repr h in
>  if Obj.is_block obj && Obj.tag obj = Obj.custom_tag then
>    Nativeint.format "%x" (Obj.obj obj)
>  else invalid_arg "dump_handle"

This does not work.  You are printing the address of the custom block
that contains the handle, but this address can change during program
execution.

-- Damien

* Re: [Caml-list] Unix.file_descr -> int ???
@ 2002-06-18 13:38 Alessandro Baretta
       [not found] ` <000101c21705$d9f23640$0501a8c0@lexifi01>
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2002-06-18 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

I just realize I sent the following message only to
Jean-Marc Eber, when it was meant to be for the mailing list.

Please excuse me.

Alex
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2002-06-20 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Regarding industry problems that Caml may be able to solve. Well, here's
one.

As part of research, I'm building a file-system, where the user-space parts
are written in my favorite programming language :-)  (you guessed correctly
...)
Communication between C and ML components in mostly restricted to sockets.
Here lies the problem: I need to marshal to and from network order
integers (16byte,32byte,64bytes).

I would be helpful if Caml supported marshaling to/from these types
directly.

for example:
                type ofs = int
      get_int16 : string -> ofs -> int
                get_int32 : string -> ofs -> int32
      get_int64 : string -> ofs -> int64

      Ohad.

Ohad Rodeh
tel: +972-9-9527641
IBM Haifa, storage research

                      Markus Mottl
                      <markus@oefai.at>             To:       Xavier Leroy <xavier.leroy@inria.fr>
                      Sent by:                      cc:       Alessandro Baretta <alex@baretta.com>, Ocaml
                      owner-caml-list@pauill         <caml-list@inria.fr>
                      ac.inria.fr                   Subject:  Re: [Caml-list] Unix.file_descr -> int ???

                      20/06/2002 14:52
                      Please respond to
                      Markus Mottl

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> I'm not disturbed in the least by the fact that many computer
> professionals couldn't care less about what we do.  (And conversely :-)
> What I am concerned about is the well-meaning suggestions that we
> should move towards "their" technologies in the vague hope that they
> will pay more attention then.  They won't.

I don't think that the problem is about moving towards "their"
technologies but moving OCaml and its tools towards "their" problem
domain. It's definitely not the job of INRIA to do this, though some
help might make this task easier for the commercial programmers among us
(not me).

This usually boils down to adhering to or defining somewhat accepted
standards. E.g., I suppose that many programmers would be happy about
locale support or libraries in the distribution that handle some
high-level standard internet protocols, etc.

It might be a good idea to define some set of rules that allows people
external to INRIA to write libraries in such a way that they could be
accepted in the standard distribution. Or even better, to define and
implement standard packaging schemes that make seamless integration of 3rd
party libraries easy. Then the community could much more effectively take
over the burden of providing OCaml-libraries and tools for commercial use.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at