From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@inria.fr>
To: Berke Durak <berke@altern.org>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Marshalling objects (was: French interactive fiction, anyone ?)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:57:23 +0200	[thread overview]

* Berke Durak (berke@altern.org) wrote:
> Well, I've written a very small prototype game, using
> objects. Container objects are somewhat tricky (lots of weird typing
> errors) but not impossible to define. However, if I can't save the
> game state, I'll have to trash everything and ``simulate'' a class
> model using conventional datatypes (not necessarily a bad thing, but I
> would have been nice to use classical interactive fiction programming
> style).
>
> So, I have to ask : Will we be able to marshall objects soon ? There
> seem to be some (unused) code fragments in extern.c...

Since in some sense objects point to their method code, you're asking
about the marshalling of code. Some work on this has been done and is
being done for JoCaml (see http://pauillac.inria.fr/jocaml/ ) and might
be some day integrated with ocaml.

Best,

Alan Schmitt

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.