* [Caml-list] Cygwin & dynamic loading
@ 2003-04-23 15:23 Christian.Schaller
From: Christian.Schaller @ 2003-04-23 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi there,

Can anybody give me some enlightenment (so that I can sleep better again)
about the Cygwin port of OCaml.  I am running this port since version 3.04
and never encountered the following error message until I installed my
Windows system from scratch:

$ ocamlmktop -o ocaml-str str.cma
Error on dynamically loaded library: dynamic loading not supported on this
platform

I remember I was running ocamlmktop this several times on my old system, but
now it doesn't work anymore.  When checking the configure script, I noticed
that there's no *-*-cygwin section on shared libraries, so it's obvious that
shared libraries will not be supported.  But why did above command work just
fine on my old system?

Am I missing some Cygwin library or do I have to patch the configure script?
Does the native Windows OCaml installation interfere with the Cygwin port
(that's the only obvious difference between the two systems).

Thanks a lot!
- Chris

Appendix: The gory details

I am running XP with SP1.  Cygcheck -s reported (showing only parts of it):

    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.3.22
        DLL epoch: 19
        DLL bad signal mask: 19005
        DLL old termios: 5
        DLL malloc env: 28
        API major: 0
        API minor: 78
        Shared data: 3
        DLL identifier: cygwin1
        Mount registry: 2
        Cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        Program options name: Program Options
        Cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        Cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        Cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        Cygdrive default prefix:
        Build date: Tue Mar 18 09:20:11 EST 2003
        CVS tag: dontuse-21
        Shared id: cygwin1S3

Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version
_update-info-dir     00162-1
ash                  20020731-1
autoconf             2.54-1
autoconf-devel       2.57-1
autoconf-stable      2.13-4
automake             1.7.1-1
automake-devel       1.7.3-1
automake-stable      1.4p5-5
base-files           1.3-1
base-passwd          1.1-1
bash                 2.05b-9
binutils             20030307-1
bison                20030307-1
byacc                1.9-1
bzip2                1.0.2-2
ctags                5.5-3
cygutils             1.1.3-1
cygwin               1.3.22-1
cygwin-doc           1.3-3
diff                 1.0-1
diffutils            2.8.1-1
file                 4.02-1
fileutils            4.1-1
findutils            4.1.7-4
flex                 2.5.4-2
gawk                 3.1.2-2
gcc                  3.2-3
gcc-mingw            20020817-5
gcc2                 2.95.3-10
gdb                  20030303-1
gdbm                 1.8.0-5
gettext              0.11.5-1
gnupg                1.2.1-1
grep                 2.5-1
groff                1.18.1-2
gzip                 1.3.3-4
indent               2.2.8-1
less                 378-1
libbz2_1             1.0.2-2
libdb3.1             3.1.17-2
libgdbm              1.8.0-5
libgdbm-devel        1.8.0-5
libgdbm3             1.8.3-1
libiconv2            1.8-2
libintl              0.10.38-3
libintl1             0.10.40-1
libintl2             0.11.5-1
libltdl3             1.5-1
libncurses-devel     5.3-1
libncurses5          5.2-1
libncurses6          5.2-8
libncurses7          5.3-1
libpopt0             1.6.4-4
libreadline4         4.1-2
libreadline5         4.3-2
libtool              20020705-1
libtool-devel        1.5-1
libtool-stable       1.4.3-1
login                1.8-1
m4                   1.4-1
make                 3.79.1-7
man                  1.5j-2
mc                   4.6.0-2
mingw-runtime        2.4-1
mktemp               1.4-1
nasm                 0.98.36-1
ncurses              5.3-1
newlib-man           20020801
openssh              3.6.1p1-1
openssl              0.9.7b-1
openssl096           0.9.6j-1
patch                2.5.8-3
pcre                 4.1-1
perl                 5.8.0-2
popt                 1.6.4-4
readline             4.3-2
regex                4.4-2
sed                  4.0.7-1
sh-utils             2.0.15-3
sharutils            4.2.1-2
tar                  1.13.25-1
tcltk                20030214-1
termcap              20020930-1
terminfo             5.3-2
texinfo              4.2-4
textutils            2.0.21-1
time                 1.7-1
unzip                5.50-2
vim                  6.1.300-1
w32api               2.3-1
which                1.5-1
whois                4.6.2-1
zip                  2.3-2
zlib                 1.1.4-1

* Re: [Caml-list] Cygwin & dynamic loading
@ 2003-04-24  2:38 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2003-04-24  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian.Schaller; +Cc: caml-list

> Can anybody give me some enlightenment (so that I can sleep better again)
> about the Cygwin port of OCaml.  I am running this port since version 3.04
> and never encountered the following error message until I installed my
> Windows system from scratch:
>
> $ ocamlmktop -o ocaml-str str.cma
> Error on dynamically loaded library: dynamic loading not supported on this
> platform

Try adding -custom to the command line.

   ocamlmktop -custom -o ocaml-str str.cma

For some reason, the flag was not included in str.cma.

    Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] Cygwin & dynamic loading
@ 2003-04-24  7:28 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-04-24  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian.Schaller; +Cc: caml-list

> Can anybody give me some enlightenment (so that I can sleep better again)
> about the Cygwin port of OCaml.  I am running this port since version 3.04
> and never encountered the following error message until I installed my
> Windows system from scratch:
>
> $ ocamlmktop -o ocaml-str str.cma
> Error on dynamically loaded library: dynamic loading not supported on this
> platform
> [...]
> Does the native Windows OCaml installation interfere with the Cygwin port
> (that's the only obvious difference between the two systems).

Yes, the two installations can interfere: the native Windows installer
sets the OCAMLLIB environment variable to point to its libraries.
Thus, if you don't unset this variable or set it to point to the
libraries of the Cygwin installation of OCaml, the latter will use the
wrong libraries.  And indeed the native str.cma is set up to use
dynamic loading, while the Cygwin str.cma is set up to use -custom and
no dynamic loading.

Hope this explains your problem.

- Xavier Leroy