From: Eray Ozkural <exa@kablonet.com.tr>
To: David Brown <caml-list@davidb.org>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Easy solution in OCaml?
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:14:37 +0300	[thread overview]

On Monday 28 April 2003 17:22, David Brown wrote:
> To me, the core feature of functional programming are first class
> closures.  Everything else just makes it more convenient.

Well said. I would also like to say here that I fail to see what distinguishes
the core of ocaml and haskell so much from a semantics point of view!!!!!!!
Both are functional languages with sequential constructs and advanced type
systems IMHO. Minus the object system, the module system of ocaml can be
viewed as  a more advanced kind of "type class" in haskell (assuming we can
compare constructs inexactly!!) The really cool object system comes as a
bonus...

Being an "amateur" PL designer, I think both languages are very orthogonal but
they are both lacking the degree of parallelism that would make me think of
them as purely declarative...

There is also another point that I think is worthy of making. You can extend
ocaml rather easily using p4. I think in the future a safe and easy kind of
semantic extensibility will be the way to go, like Cardelli described in that
paper... :P

Not intended as flamery :)

Regards,

--