* [Caml-list] GCaml
@ 2003-04-29  3:19 Dimitri Timofeev
From: Dimitri Timofeev @ 2003-04-29  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello All!

What is the current state of G'Caml? Will generics ever be included into
OCaml, or is there any patch for OCaml 3.0x which support it?

Thanks!

--
Dimitri

* Re: [Caml-list] GCaml
@ 2003-04-29 12:39 ` Eray Ozkural
From: Eray Ozkural @ 2003-04-29 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dimitri Timofeev, caml-list

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 06:19, Dimitri Timofeev wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> What is the current state of G'Caml? Will generics ever be included into
> OCaml, or is there any patch for OCaml 3.0x which support it?

What generics!?!? Structure monster is fond of generics!! Give me generics!!!
(In the style of Cookie Monster)

(Shameless self-promotion: listen to my band Malfunction!!! :P)

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara  KDE Project: http://www.kde.org

* Re: [Caml-list] GCaml
@ 2003-04-30  2:29 ` brogoff
From: brogoff @ 2003-04-30  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Dimitri Timofeev wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> What is the current state of G'Caml?

The prototype top-level is almost two years old. It's only for playing in the
top level, you can't use the module system. Still, it's pretty cool. Having
all of those features in a future Caml will be a major leap for ML. It doesn't
just satisfy the simple desire for overloading + and print and all that, but
allows you to write some pretty wild functions in a  type safe manner!

> Will generics ever be included into OCaml,

I suspect so, since safe value IO is a very high priority, and my understanding
is that once that is in that generics is not a huge addition.

The big question is: when? I guess we'll know when it happens. This is one of
my most desired language enhancements too.

> or is there any patch for OCaml 3.0x which support it?

Not that I know of.

-- Brian

* Re: [Caml-list] GCaml
@ 2003-05-05 15:08   ` Jun.Furuse
From: Jun.Furuse @ 2003-05-05 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brogoff; +Cc: caml-list

Hello,

> I suspect so, since safe value IO is a very high priority, and my understanding
> is that once that is in that generics is not a huge addition.
>
> The big question is: when? I guess we'll know when it happens. This is one of
> my most desired language enhancements too.
>
> > or is there any patch for OCaml 3.0x which support it?
>
> Not that I know of.

G'Caml is not dead. I am prepared to restart the project just after
3.07 will be released.

--
Jun

* Re: [Caml-list] GCaml
@ 2003-05-07 19:39     ` Dimitri Timofeev
From: Dimitri Timofeev @ 2003-05-07 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun.Furuse; +Cc: caml-list

Hello!

On Mon, 05 May 2003, Jun.Furuse@inria.fr wrote:

> G'Caml is not dead. I am prepared to restart the project just after
> 3.07 will be released.

It's a very good news, thank you!

And a little question about generic function definition. Now (AFAIK) it is
"closed": all cases must be defined in one place. Is it possible to let
user to extend an existing generic function by defining a new case
somewhere else in the code?

--
Dimitri

* Re: [Caml-list] GCaml
@ 2003-05-13 16:42       ` Pierre Weis
From: Pierre Weis @ 2003-05-13 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dimitri Timofeev; +Cc: Jun.Furuse, caml-list

[Charset koi8-r unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> Hello!
>
> On Mon, 05 May 2003, Jun.Furuse@inria.fr wrote:
>
> > G'Caml is not dead. I am prepared to restart the project just after
> > 3.07 will be released.
>
> It's a very good news, thank you!
>
> And a little question about generic function definition. Now (AFAIK) it is
> "closed": all cases must be defined in one place. Is it possible to let
> user to extend an existing generic function by defining a new case
> somewhere else in the code?
>
> > --
> > Jun
>
> --
> Dimitri

We have studied such an extension mechanism and this has been
functions are made via redefinition, with an automatic textual
inclusion of the old definition (in the spirit of the include feature
of the module system of the language).

Hope this helps,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/