* [Caml-list] GUI toolkit advice
@ 2003-05-28  0:32 sashan
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: sashan @ 2003-05-28  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi

I was looking around the O'Caml website and surrounding sites for gui
toolkits. I'm interested in a platform independent (windows or linux)
toolkit. The bindings I've come across so far are LablGTK and a binding
for tk. Are there any other gui toolkits? What would you use if you
wanted to write an app with a gui that could run no linux or windows?

thanks

--
sashan
http://sashan.netfirms.com

* Re: [Caml-list] GUI toolkit advice
@ 2003-05-28  0:54 ` Matt Gushee
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Gushee @ 2003-05-28  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:32:50PM +1200, sashan wrote:

> I was looking around the O'Caml website and surrounding sites for gui
> toolkits. I'm interested in a platform independent (windows or linux)
> toolkit. The bindings I've come across so far are LablGTK and a binding
> for tk. Are there any other gui toolkits? What would you use if you
> wanted to write an app with a gui that could run no linux or windows?

I'm not sure there's a perfect solution to this problem. For me it would
depend a lot on the nature of the application and my relationship with
the user(s). Here's the thing: GTK is more-or-less a "modern" GUI
toolkit, has most types of widgets that GUI developers are accustomed to
using, looks nice (at least most people seem to think so ... personally
I think the button styling is rather dorky), and is reasonably well
internationalized ... but the Windows port of GTK is not very mature, so
you might have to watch out for a lot of bugs.

Tk, on the other hand, is a bit primitive: it lacks some common widget
types, and may have some issues with I18N. Also, unless you get the very
latest version (which may or may not work with LablTk), it lacks support
for common image formats like JPEG and PNG. Furthermore, some people
think it looks ugly (though I've found that in many cases they just
don't know how to configure it to look good). But Tk has been around
forever and AFAIK works well on all supported platforms.

So for simple applications, e.g. a data entry interface, Tk might be a
better choice. But if you are creating, say, the ultimate IDE, I imagine
you're better off with GTK, bugs or no.

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: [Caml-list] GUI toolkit advice
@ 2003-05-28  9:17 ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2003-05-28  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sashan; +Cc: caml-list

>  I was looking around the O'Caml website and surrounding sites for gui
>  toolkits. I'm interested in a platform independent (windows or linux)
>  toolkit. The bindings I've come across so far are LablGTK and a binding
>  for tk. Are there any other gui toolkits? What would you use if you
>  wanted to write an app with a gui that could run no linux or windows?

As far as I know, there are currently no real multi-platform GUI
toolkits in Ocaml. GTK on Windows does not work correctly. You should
probably consider using another language for the GUI (C++ and
wxWindows for example), and write stubs for callbacks to Ocaml. It might
be a pain to write, but I think it is worth it if you really want a
nice GUI.

- Fabrice

Homepage: http://www.lefessant.net/

* Re: [Caml-list] GUI toolkit advice
@ 2003-05-28  9:38 ` henridf
From: henridf @ 2003-05-28  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sashan; +Cc: caml-list

I recently asked a similar question and got some helpful replies, see
http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200304/msg00189.html and followups.

2 months later, having coded my GUI using lablgtk, i would say the
following:

On the one hand, lablgtk has many features and works great.
On the other hand, to get something good out of it you do need to invest
quite some effort. Mostly due to lack of documentation, it's not just a
matter of writing code to an API,
because I found myself having to go and inspect the code pretty often to
figure out how to use this or that. Also, though my UI was relatively
straightforward I stumbled across 2 pretty trivial bugs, which gave me the
impression that lots of the code has not been very well exercised yet.

Henri

> Hi
>
> I was looking around the O'Caml website and surrounding sites for gui
> toolkits. I'm interested in a platform independent (windows or linux)
> toolkit. The bindings I've come across so far are LablGTK and a binding
> for tk. Are there any other gui toolkits? What would you use if you
> wanted to write an app with a gui that could run no linux or windows?
>
> thanks

* Re: [Caml-list] GUI toolkit advice
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-03 11:31 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-06-03 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sashan; +Cc: caml-list

We've been using liblgtk (ie. gtk) on Linux, and we're planning on
doing the Windows port using Gtk-Wimp which gives Gtk on Windows
the proper Windows look'n'feel.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk-wimp

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London) and Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj

* Re: [Caml-list] GUI toolkit advice
@ 2003-06-03 11:44   ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-06-03 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sashan; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:31:16PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> We've been using liblgtk (ie. gtk) on Linux, and we're planning on

Duh ... lablgtk of course.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London) and Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
MAKE+ is a sane replacement for GNU autoconf/automake. One script compiles,
RPMs, pkgs etc. Linux, BSD, Solaris. http://www.annexia.org/freeware/makeplus/