* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2003-06-15 13:30 ` Maxence Guesdon
From: Maxence Guesdon @ 2003-06-15 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adc; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:56:05 +0100
adc <allan@uklinux.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>   Could anyone tell me the status of the Caml Development Kit?
> The on-line documentation linked at
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/cdk/newdoc/htmlman/cdk_toc.html
> linked to from ocaml.org seems to have been last updated in 2001.
> Looking at the mailing list archives it seems to be mostly spam since around the middle of 2002.

There is no more cdk support, by now:
http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200207/msg00459.html

--
Maxence Guesdon

* [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2003-06-15 13:56 adc
From: adc @ 2003-06-15 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,
  Could anyone tell me the status of the Caml Development Kit?
The on-line documentation linked at
http://pauillac.inria.fr/cdk/newdoc/htmlman/cdk_toc.html
linked to from ocaml.org seems to have been last updated in 2001.
Looking at the mailing list archives it seems to be mostly spam since around the middle of 2002.

Allan

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2003-06-15 14:28 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2003-06-15 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

* adc (allan@uklinux.net) wrote:
> Hello,
>   Could anyone tell me the status of the Caml Development Kit?

The cdk is dead. It was a failed experiment trying both to extend the
libraries shipped with OCaml (now the extlib project seems to do this)
and to solve the packaging / dependency problem (we proved empirically
that a monolithic approach does not work ;-)

Alan Schmitt

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2003-06-15 14:50 adc
From: adc @ 2003-06-15 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maxence.guesdon; +Cc: caml-list

I see, thank you for the reply, I guess I should have searched the archives more.

Allan

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-28  2:49       ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2001-07-28  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Lugovsky; +Cc: John Max Skaller, John Eikenberry, caml-list

I'm working on integrating findlib in the CDK. This is almost
done. But we have already another tool, called cdk_config, which does
almost exactly the same job.

- Fabrice

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-28  2:44 ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2001-07-28  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnaswami, Neel; +Cc: 'caml-list@inria.fr'

If you want to add a package to the CDK, just send me a mail with an
URL to your packages (or attachments). There is not yet any web page
describing how to create packages for the CDK, but we are working on
it. I will modify your packages to compile in the CDK env.

Best Regards,

- Fabrice

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-27 16:56     ` Vitaly Lugovsky
From: Vitaly Lugovsky @ 2001-07-27 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Max Skaller; +Cc: John Eikenberry, caml-list

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, John Max Skaller wrote:

> John Eikenberry wrote:
>
> > > Is this (cdk) the end of Perl? ;-)
> >
> > Personally, I'm hoping for a C++ replacement...
>
> 	What do you mean by 'hoping'?
> What I mean is, can you describe what you're looking for
> that Ocaml/CDK doesn't offer? [I'm curious about
> your priorities]

 I think, all we need is a "standard" distribution with a lot
of libraries (including findlib. why it is not in cdk?), so any
user can download a new sources and simply do configure;make;make install
without reading long instructions and downloading a lots of libraries
from different places.

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-27  7:16 ` David Mentre
From: David Mentre @ 2001-07-27  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnaswami, Neel; +Cc: 'caml-list@inria.fr'

"Krishnaswami, Neel" <neelk@cswcasa.com> writes:

> How does one contribute to the CDK?

Look at: http://pauillac.inria.fr/cdk/

There are author names and mailing list addresses on this page. However,
they won't reply to you in the following few days as they are busy with
the ICFP 01 prog contest: they are discussing in the corridor next to
me. ;)

d.
--
 David.Mentre@inria.fr
 Opinions expressed here are only mine.

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-26 20:46 Krishnaswami, Neel
From: Krishnaswami, Neel @ 2001-07-26 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'caml-list@inria.fr'

John Max Skaller [mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au] wrote:

> > > Note that the cdk doesn't offer any new libraries; it is merely a
> > > compilation of existing libraries and tools in a single
> > > package, the kind that seems to make business folks happy.
> >
> > It makes OCaml-newbies (like me) happy too, because it's not so
> > easy to find a lot of libraries out there.
> > And why to reinvent the wheel?
>
> It makes me happy too, because I can use it in products
> I want to distribute, and people can download CDK and
> get ocaml and all the libraries in one hit. That's important,
> especially if it's only part of a larger toolset.

How does one contribute to the CDK? I have a couple of packages
that I'd like to make available (including one miraculously
simple implementation of balanced binary trees[*]), and I'm
curious what to email where and how I should document it.

[*] Randomized treaps. This is the only balanced tree structure
I've seen for which I can remember how to write a deletion function
off the top of my head, without any complex case analysis.

--
Neel Krishnaswami
neelk@cswcasa.com

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-26 20:07     ` John Max Skaller
From: John Max Skaller @ 2001-07-26 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: Ian Zimmerman, OCAML

> > Note that the cdk doesn't offer any new libraries; it is merely a
> > compilation of existing libraries and tools in a single package, the
> > kind that seems to make business folks happy.
>
> It makes OCaml-newbies (like me) happy too, because it's not so
> easy to find a lot of libraries out there.
> And why to reinvent the wheel?

	It makes me happy too, because I can use it in products
I want to distribute, and people can download CDK and
get ocaml and all the libraries in one hit. That's important,
especially if it's only part of a larger toolset.

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
New generation programming language Felix  http://felix.sourceforge.net
Literate Programming tool Interscript
http://Interscript.sourceforge.net

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-26 19:19   ` John Max Skaller
From: John Max Skaller @ 2001-07-26 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Eikenberry; +Cc: caml-list

@ 2001-07-24 13:50 ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2001-07-24 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

The CDK is still under development. We are currently looking for good
solutions for different problems, such as finding an easy way to
integrate new library releases, and choosing a good documentation
format. A new release will be available soon, using the future Ocaml
3.02.

The CDK is not only gathering a set of external Ocaml libraries. It
also provides a set of new modules with widely used functions, which
have not yet been integrated into Ocaml standard distribution
(string_of_file, Http_server, etc ...)

- Fabrice

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-24  7:36     ` Sven
From: Sven @ 2001-07-24  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: Ian Zimmerman, OCAML

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 09:06:43AM +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2001, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>

> > Oliver> Is the cdk (OCaml development kit) a "planned for the future"
> > Oliver> and it was an accident, to find it via google?  The date of
> > Oliver> the dfocument was very new (MAy 2001) and it seems to be not
> > Oliver> ready (Preface without text).
> >
> > Oliver> When will it be official available? (Or ist now?)
> >
> > AFAIK it is available as beta now, but I don't use it.
> >
> > Oliver> It looks very interesting; such a big library seems to give
> > Oliver> massive power for the OCaml-programmer.
> >
> > Note that the cdk doesn't offer any new libraries; it is merely a
> > compilation of existing libraries and tools in a single package, the
> > kind that seems to make business folks happy.
>
> It makes OCaml-newbies (like me) happy too, because it's not so
> easy to find a lot of libraries out there.
> And why to reinvent the wheel?

You could have tried the debian packages, not (yet) all of the cdk libraries
packages have been packaged, but for the ones who have, you just need to do :

apt-get install library-name.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-24  7:06   ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2001-07-24  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Zimmerman; +Cc: OCAML

On 23 Jul 2001, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Oliver> Is the cdk (OCaml development kit) a "planned for the future"
> Oliver> and it was an accident, to find it via google?  The date of
> Oliver> the dfocument was very new (MAy 2001) and it seems to be not
> Oliver> ready (Preface without text).
>
> Oliver> When will it be official available? (Or ist now?)
>
> AFAIK it is available as beta now, but I don't use it.
>
> Oliver> It looks very interesting; such a big library seems to give
> Oliver> massive power for the OCaml-programmer.
>
> Note that the cdk doesn't offer any new libraries; it is merely a
> compilation of existing libraries and tools in a single package, the
> kind that seems to make business folks happy.

It makes OCaml-newbies (like me) happy too, because it's not so
easy to find a lot of libraries out there.
And why to reinvent the wheel?

What/where are the "original" libraries of the cdk-compilation?
As a person new to OCaml (and FPL in general) it's necessary
to see the whole at a glance.

> Oliver> Is this (cdk) the end of Perl? ;-)
>
> Maybe, but not for technical reasons; there have been hardly any
> technical reasons to use Perl for a long time, if only because of
> Python.  Rather, it is for social reasons - see above.

Hmhhh "shorter development cycles" (e.g. Perl vs. C)
is this a social reason?

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-24  2:47 ` John Eikenberry
From: John Eikenberry @ 2001-07-24  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Oliver Bandel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> while looking for OCaml program-ressources/libraries,
> I found a pdf, describing "cdk".
> I have not found the cdk via links on the OCaml-Homepage,
> but via google directly to this pdf.
>
> Is the cdk (OCaml development kit) a "planned for the future"
> and it was an accident, to find it via google?
> The date of the dfocument was very new (MAy 2001)
> and it seems to be not ready (Preface without text).
>
> When will it be official available? (Or ist now?)

You can find the cdk at:

http://pauillac.inria.fr/cdk/

Downloadable as source and linux binary packages, or anonymous CVS.

> It looks very interesting; such a big library seems
> to give massive power for the OCaml-programmer.
>
> Is this (cdk) the end of Perl? ;-)

Personally, I'm hoping for a C++ replacement...

--

John Eikenberry
[jae@zhar.net - http://zhar.net]

* Re: [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-24  0:38 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2001-07-24  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCAML

[...]

Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
EngSoc adopts market economy: cheap is wasteful, efficient is expensive.
GPG pub key: 433BA087 9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8 6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087

* [Caml-list] cdk
@ 2001-07-23 21:55 Oliver Bandel
                   ` (2 more replies)