* [Caml-list] frozen home page && wxwindows
@ 2003-07-03 17:06 KONTRA Gergely
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: KONTRA Gergely @ 2003-07-03 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi!

I've seen ocaml a year ago, and yesterday I just want to know what's up
with ocaml. But the official homepage is almost the same, as one year
ago. Is the developement stopped?
What about extension libraries?

I want to know what cross-platform gui's are available for ocaml.
I know about gtk, but that's not so stable on windows.
To be frank I want to use wxWindows with ocaml. Has anybody began to
work on it? If not, and I want to start developing it, can anybody give
me practical hints, etc where to start?

I'm not experienced neither in ocaml (-dev) nor wxwindows

Gergo
--
+-[ Kontra, Gergely<kgergely@mcl.hu> PhD student Room IB113 ]---------+
| http://www.mcl.hu/~kgergely            "Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy  |

* Re: [Caml-list] frozen home page && wxwindows
@ 2003-07-03 17:45 ` Oleg Trott
From: Oleg Trott @ 2003-07-03 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thursday 03 July 2003 01:06 pm, KONTRA Gergely wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've seen ocaml a year ago, and yesterday I just want to know what's up
> with ocaml. But the official homepage is almost the same, as one year
> ago. Is the developement stopped?
> What about extension libraries?
>
> I want to know what cross-platform gui's are available for ocaml.
> I know about gtk, but that's not so stable on windows.
> To be frank I want to use wxWindows with ocaml. Has anybody began to
> work on it? If not, and I want to start developing it, can anybody give
> me practical hints, etc where to start?
>
> I'm not experienced neither in ocaml (-dev) nor wxwindows
>
> Gergo

I was looking into this too. There is no wxWindows binding for OCaml that I
know of, but a while ago someone suggested using Swig to auto-generate it. I
do not know how good such an interface would be, but Swig works with OCaml,
and it was already used to make wxWindows interfaces in a bunch of other
languages.

P.S. Isn't it possible for the mailing list software to hash recent messages
and disallow identical ones?

--
Oleg Trott <oleg_trott@columbia.edu>

* Re: [Caml-list] frozen home page && wxwindows
@ 2003-07-04  2:17 ` Nicolas Cannasse
       [not found]   ` <20030704092643.GA25625@redhat.com>
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2003-07-04  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KONTRA Gergely, caml-list

> I've seen ocaml a year ago, and yesterday I just want to know what's up
> with ocaml. But the official homepage is almost the same, as one year
> ago. Is the developement stopped?

Are you sure you have clean up your browser cache since then ? :-)
More seriously : no, ocaml development is not stopped, and a 3.07 will be
released... soon (?).

> What about extension libraries?

If you look at the Caml Hump you'll see the last libraries that have been
released.

> I want to know what cross-platform gui's are available for ocaml.
> I know about gtk, but that's not so stable on windows.

Actually under Windows there is the OCaml Win32 API which is pretty much
low-level for programming GUIs , so I wrote Osiris which is a simple
framework for using GUIs with OCaml. Right know Osiris is only working using
native Win32 components, but a port of Osiris under LablGTK is on the way.
As soon it's done, the community will have a cross-platform gui simple
toolkit available.

An old version of Osiris is available at http://tech.motion-twin.com

Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] frozen home page && wxwindows
@ 2003-07-04  9:16 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-07-04  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KONTRA Gergely; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 07:06:35PM +0200, KONTRA Gergely wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've seen ocaml a year ago, and yesterday I just want to know what's up
> with ocaml. But the official homepage is almost the same, as one year
> ago. Is the developement stopped?
> What about extension libraries?

Development seems pretty active. Most of the good stuff happens on
caml-list and ocaml-lib-devel mailing lists. Extension libraries are
documented here: http://caml.inria.fr/humps/ . Another good place to
look is LWN.net which publishes Alan Schmitt's useful "Caml Weekly
News". The latest one available to non-subscribers is:
http://lwn.net/Articles/37712/

> I want to know what cross-platform gui's are available for ocaml.
> I know about gtk, but that's not so stable on windows.

I've actually been playing with Gtk + OCaml + Windows and it works
quite well, and the look and feel is closer to native than I expected.
Other alternatives are labltk (based on Tk) or the native Win32 API
(version 0.02 however, so perhaps not very stable or reliable? - can
anyone comment?). There is no WxWindows port AFAIK, which is a shame.

> To be frank I want to use wxWindows with ocaml. Has anybody began to
> work on it? If not, and I want to start developing it, can anybody give
> me practical hints, etc where to start?
>
> I'm not experienced neither in ocaml (-dev) nor wxwindows

http://www.merjis.com/richj/computers/ocaml/tutorial/

I should add a section on available GUIs, since I'm researching this
at the moment.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.

@ 2003-07-04  9:51     ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2003-07-04  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones, OCaml

> > Actually under Windows there is the OCaml Win32 API which is pretty much
> > low-level for programming GUIs , so I wrote Osiris which is a simple
> > framework for using GUIs with OCaml. Right know Osiris is only working
using
> > native Win32 components, but a port of Osiris under LablGTK is on the
way.
> > As soon it's done, the community will have a cross-platform gui simple
> > toolkit available.
> >
> > An old version of Osiris is available at http://tech.motion-twin.com
>
> Is there a newer version? The version for download is quite incomplete.

The current version is only fixing some little bugs but will need further
modifications in order to get the same "look" under Win32 API and GTK,
that's why it has not been released yet and will only be release at the same
time as Osiris-GTK . As for components support, only the basics ones
(already included in Osiris) will be included.

> What are your plans for this? I'm writing an application which needs a
> GUI interface. The GUI interface is very simple - just a menubar, a
> couple of dialogs. But crucially it requires a "canvas" widget - ie. a
> drawing area with suitable primitives (lines, circles, elipses,
> rectangles, etc.)

I have no plans for adding such a component.
Actually the GDI (for drawing operations) is not yet interfaced under the
Win32 API , and this would require quite a big work.

Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] frozen home page && wxwindows
@ 2003-07-08 13:06   ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-07-08 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list, lablgtk

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 10:16:39AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> http://www.merjis.com/richj/computers/ocaml/tutorial/
>
> I should add a section on available GUIs, since I'm researching this
> at the moment.

This is a beta version of chapter 12, on Gtk & Lablgtk:

http://www.merjis.com/richj/computers/ocaml/tutorial/ch12.shtml

I'd appreciate some feedback from lablgtk experts on this, since
some things don't quite work.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.
MONOLITH is an advanced framework for writing web applications in C, easier
than using Perl & Java, much faster and smaller, reusable widget-based arch,
database-backed, discussion, chat, calendaring:
http://www.annexia.org/freeware/monolith/

* Re: [Caml-list] frozen home page && wxwindows
@ 2003-07-08 15:28     ` Yamagata Yoriyuki
From: Yamagata Yoriyuki @ 2003-07-08 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich; +Cc: caml-list

From: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] frozen home page && wxwindows
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:06:57 +0100

> This is a beta version of chapter 12, on Gtk & Lablgtk:
>
> http://www.merjis.com/richj/computers/ocaml/tutorial/ch12.shtml

You could use initializer instead of explicitly initializing the graph
object, I think.  See Section 3-3 of the online manual for the detail.

BTW, your statement about the tag bit in Chapter 11 is a little, I
think, misleading.  Polymorphism only requires all types have the same
representation.  The tag bit is necessary for GC.

--
Yamagata Yoriyuki

* Re: [Caml-list] frozen home page && wxwindows
@ 2003-07-08 17:35     ` Flavio
From: Flavio @ 2003-07-08 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Alle 15:06, martedì 8 luglio 2003, Richard Jones ha scritto:

> This is a beta version of chapter 12, on Gtk & Lablgtk:
>
> http://www.merjis.com/richj/computers/ocaml/tutorial/ch12.shtml
>
> I'd appreciate some feedback from lablgtk experts on this, since
> some things don't quite work.
>
> Rich.

Hello Rich,
I'm not an expert at all, but on that page you ask how to get the graph to
fill the window: well, you just need to use vbox#pack instead of vbox#add
when packing the scrollbar (line 56 of graph.ml).

Last let me say that I, being an ocaml beginner, really appreciate your work.
Very good tutorial.

Ciao,
Flavio Grossi

P.S. Sorry for the other message at your own addres, I just pasted the wrong
one.