* [Caml-list] closing sockets
@ 2003-08-15  3:41 Mike Furr
From: Mike Furr @ 2003-08-15  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,

I've been playing around with developing a network app in ocaml and came
across an annoying 'misunderstaning' of the documentation.  Namely,
'shutdown_connection' does not clean up after 'open_connection'.  While
the socket is shutdown, the file descriptor is not closed and thus must
be done so explicitly, else you can quickly run out of file
descriptors... :(

It seems that it would be more intuitive(as a high level networking
function) if shutdown_con also closed the socket, effectively undoing
the allocations of open_con.  In fact, the networking example in this
book[1] does not do this, which is how I erred in the first place.

I'm not networking/socket expert, so, is there any reason for this not
to occur?  The only problem I see is that making the change would break
any program that correctly closes the socket on its own...

thanks,

[1] Developing Applications With Objective Caml[english translation]
--
Mike Furr <mike.furr@umbc.edu>

* Re: [Caml-list] closing sockets
@ 2003-08-15 12:28 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-08-15 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Furr; +Cc: caml-list

For sockets, "shutdown" and "close" are two different things. Have a
look at a book like Steven's UNIX Network Programming for details.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.