* [Caml-list] inconsistent assumptions over interface Pervasives
@ 2003-09-29 19:14 Karl Zilles
From: Karl Zilles @ 2003-09-29 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I've just upgraded to 3.07, and I'm recompiling some of my code that
depends heavily on libraries.  It seems that code compiled with earlier
versions of the standard libraries is not compatible with code compiled
under 3.07:

"The files /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pervasives.cmi and
/usr/local/lib/ocaml/site-lib/pcre/pcre.cmi make inconsistent
assumptions over interface Pervasives"

This is not a problem for me right now, since I have source to the
libraries I'm using, but it seems like it would be a problem if people
distribute commercial libraries for OCaml.

* Re: [Caml-list] inconsistent assumptions over interface Pervasives
@ 2003-09-29 21:30 ` Pierre Weis
From: Pierre Weis @ 2003-09-29 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Zilles; +Cc: caml-list

> I've just upgraded to 3.07, and I'm recompiling some of my code that
> depends heavily on libraries.  It seems that code compiled with earlier
> versions of the standard libraries is not compatible with code compiled
> under 3.07:
>
> "The files /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pervasives.cmi and
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/site-lib/pcre/pcre.cmi make inconsistent
> assumptions over interface Pervasives"
>
> This is not a problem for me right now, since I have source to the
> libraries I'm using, but it seems like it would be a problem if people
> distribute commercial libraries for OCaml.

Right you have to recompile your libraries from scratch or wait for a
new binary distribution compatible with O'Caml 3.07.

This is also true for your own programs: you should remove old .cmo
and .cmi compiled object files.

Normally, if your library uses a regular Makefile, the command

$ make clean; make

should solve the problem.

Hope this helps,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/

* Re: [Caml-list] inconsistent assumptions over interface Pervasives
@ 2003-09-30 17:11 ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-09-30 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Zilles; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:14:01PM -0700, Karl Zilles wrote:
> I've just upgraded to 3.07, and I'm recompiling some of my code that
> depends heavily on libraries.  It seems that code compiled with earlier
> versions of the standard libraries is not compatible with code compiled
> under 3.07:
>
> "The files /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pervasives.cmi and
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/site-lib/pcre/pcre.cmi make inconsistent
> assumptions over interface Pervasives"
>
> This is not a problem for me right now, since I have source to the
> libraries I'm using, but it seems like it would be a problem if people
> distribute commercial libraries for OCaml.

That is the problem with commercial distributions, and the people doing
commercial distributions of stuff should be prepared to pay the price of
it (that is recompiling when there is a new ocaml release). Doing otherwise
would be unhonest to your customers, but then this has not stopped
people from doing so over the past, altough with the advent of open
source, i guess that less and less customer will be willing to purchase
software in these conditions.

Friendly,

Sven Luther