* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml wishlist
@ 2003-10-21 22:34 Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-10-21 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

[by accident, this didn't get sent to the list first time]

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:38:52AM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> I'm curious what the argument for Ocaml objects being weaker is.  For
> the most part, the OCaml object system is much more flexible, mostly
> because class inheritance and type inheritance are kept seperate.  Are
> you complaining that coersion has to be explicit, and that you can't
> cast to a more specific type?

Thanks for your answer David. In response to the above, I'd say that
I've found OCaml objects to generally be OK, but sometimes they can be
really infuriating! Examples:

* Type inference doesn't work sometimes, so you need to add 'just the
  right' type declaration to an expression to get it to compile.

* Upcasting - sometimes it works, sometimes it requires an explicit
  :> to upcast. Once or twice I've had a really strange error where
  I've needed to do some sort of double upcast-and-type-declaration,
  IIRC it was (obj :> superclass : superclass)

* Polymorphic methods have a really odd & unintuitive syntax.

* It seems like you need to use a separate MLI file to be able to
  define completely private (as opposed to just protected) methods,
  which isn't really documented well.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.

* [Caml-list] OCaml wishlist
@ 2003-10-21 14:29 Richard Jones
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-10-21 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

After writing a fair bit of OCaml in commercial situations (although
I'm by no means an expert, and really should learn camlp4), here's my
wishlist:

1. 'return' from a function. eg:

  let foo x =
    if x < 0 then return "OSL";
    (* long & complex code *)
    return "some other string"

  I know I can do this using if ... else, but when you have multiple
  levels of if ... else you end up being indented so far across the
  screen as to make coding unpleasant. This is particularly a concern
  with writing basically imperative UI code.

  Is it possible to do something like this with camlp4? (as a stopgap -
  I still think it should go into the language)

2. abstract data type syntactic sugar:

   let hash = Hashtbl.create 16 in
   hash#add "foo" 10;		or:   hash->add "foo" 10;
   hash#add "bar" 20;		or:   hash->add "bar" 20;

   The syntactic sugar is that if a module contains a type called
   M.t (literally "type t"), and obj has type M.t, then:

   obj#call		      [	or:   obj->call ]

   is exactly equivalent to:

   M.call obj

   I think this change would help a lot of Java programmers (<gr>) who
   would otherwise tend to jump immediately on using objects, which are
   an area where OCaml is weaker.

What do other people think?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.
 All new technology is irrelevant until it is taken up by the public.