* [Caml-list] Version 3.08 when?
@ 2004-01-17  9:30 Anonymous
From: Anonymous @ 2004-01-17  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Please tell us when 3.08 final will be released.
It has been a long time since 3.07 moved.  We are stuck.

The "news" section on the INRIA Caml page is stale.
It looks like nothing is happening with this language.
Please provide 3.08 and updated news!

Thank you for your hard work.

* Re: [Caml-list] Version 3.08 when?
@ 2004-01-17 11:28 ` Kamil Shakirov
From: Kamil Shakirov @ 2004-01-17 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Anonymous <discord-nobody@erisiandiscord.de> writes:

> The "news" section on the INRIA Caml page is stale.
> It looks like nothing is happening with this language.
> Please provide 3.08 and updated news!

Because it is quite stable. ;)

--
 Kamil.

* Re: [Caml-list] Version 3.08 when?
@ 2004-01-17 11:51 ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-01-17 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:30:13AM +0100, Anonymous wrote:

> Please tell us when 3.08 final will be released.
> It has been a long time since 3.07 moved.  We are stuck.

I don't know what you consider a long time, but so far the interval is
considerably shorter than that between 3.06 and 3.07.

Now, it may be that the pace of OCaml development is slow. Maybe it
would be better for the community if the development process were
structured differently, to involve more people and perhaps speed things
up a bit. But for better or worse, the language core is under the
control of a government research institute, which sees fit to have the
work done by a small group of dedicated (and, I'm sure, very busy)
developers.

If you have suggestions about how to improve the process, I'm sure they
will be welcome. But you seem:

  a) to have suddenly joined the list out of nowhere (if I'm mistaken,
     I apologize. But I've been on this list about a year, and can't
     recall seeing any posts from you before).
  b) to be *demanding* a new version of a very nice product that you get
     for free.

This doesn't help anyone, and could be considered annoying.

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: [Caml-list] Version 3.08 when?
@ 2004-01-17 12:32   ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2004-01-17 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 04:51:19AM -0700, Matt Gushee wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:30:13AM +0100, Anonymous wrote:
> >
> > Please tell us when 3.08 final will be released.
> > It has been a long time since 3.07 moved.  We are stuck.
>
> I don't know what you consider a long time, but so far the interval is
> considerably shorter than that between 3.06 and 3.07.
>
> Now, it may be that the pace of OCaml development is slow. Maybe it
> would be better for the community if the development process were
> structured differently, to involve more people and perhaps speed things
> up a bit. But for better or worse, the language core is under the
> control of a government research institute, which sees fit to have the
> work done by a small group of dedicated (and, I'm sure, very busy)
> developers.
>
> If you have suggestions about how to improve the process, I'm sure they
> will be welcome. But you seem:
>
>   a) to have suddenly joined the list out of nowhere (if I'm mistaken,
>      I apologize. But I've been on this list about a year, and can't
>      recall seeing any posts from you before).
>   b) to be *demanding* a new version of a very nice product that you get
>      for free.

And naturally :

    c) posting anonymously without giving any hint of knowing anything
    about the ocaml community and release schedule.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] Version 3.08 when?
@ 2004-01-17 19:06   ` Blair Zajac
From: Blair Zajac @ 2004-01-17 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamil Shakirov; +Cc: caml-list

Kamil Shakirov wrote:

> Anonymous <discord-nobody@erisiandiscord.de> writes:
>
> > The "news" section on the INRIA Caml page is stale.
> > It looks like nothing is happening with this language.
> > Please provide 3.08 and updated news!
>
> Because it is quite stable. ;)

I've been watching the CVS commits and while I haven't seen any
large language additions that may justify a release, I've seen
all the function names renamed with "caml_" prepended to avoid
name collisions with Samba and other libraries.

I would say that once the renaming has been completed, it would
be enough to justify a 3.08 release.  But that's my vote.

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <blair@orcaware.com>
Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

* Re: [Caml-list] Version 3.08 when?
@ 2004-01-17 21:56     ` Aleksey Nogin
From: Aleksey Nogin @ 2004-01-17 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On 17.01.2004 11:06, Blair Zajac wrote:

> I've been watching the CVS commits and while I haven't seen any
> large language additions that may justify a release, I've seen
> all the function names renamed with "caml_" prepended to avoid
> name collisions with Samba and other libraries.
>
> I would say that once the renaming has been completed, it would
> be enough to justify a 3.08 release.  But that's my vote.

 From my personal view, 3.07 had a number of minor, but annoying issues
that are currently fixed in CVS. Also, the current CVS version seems to
work fine on AMD Opterons we have, while 3.07 had some issues. Finally,
a recent CVS version of OCaml works fine for our project _without any
additional patches_ - this have not been the case for any released
version of OCaml for a very long time!

So yeah, I will also be pretty happy to see 3.08 released soon.

--
Aleksey Nogin

Home Page: http://nogin.org/
E-Mail: nogin@cs.caltech.edu (office), aleksey@nogin.org (personal)
Office: Jorgensen 70, tel: (626) 395-2907