* [Caml-list] ocamldoc ... "Warning: Module or module type BatSet.StringSet not found"
@ 2013-10-08 14:36 Matej Kosik
From: Matej Kosik @ 2013-10-08 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I started to use ocamldoc.
In certain situation, it gives me:

	"Warning: Module or module type BatSet.StringSet not found"

The simplest "program" that triggers it is:

	module StringSet = BatSet.StringSet

I get it with the following command:

	ocamlfind doc -html -package batteries main.ml

I thought that some -I path was missing, so I tried:

	ocamlfind doc -html -thread -package batteries `ocamlfind query -i-format -recursive batteries` main.ml

but the warning remains.

It is not a big deal but I still wonder why I get it.
((The program itself compiles without kind of warning.))

M.

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamldoc ... "Warning: Module or module type BatSet.StringSet not found"
@ 2013-10-08 15:24 ` Ashish Agarwal
From: Ashish Agarwal @ 2013-10-08 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matej Kosik; +Cc: caml-list

OCamldoc has trouble finding references to modules in some cases. I
wouldn't worry about it. See the opam-doc project [1], which aims to
provide a more robust documentation tool.

[1] http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/ocamllabs/tasks/platform.html#OPAM Doc

@ 2013-10-08 16:59   ` Matej Kosik
From: Matej Kosik @ 2013-10-08 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashish Agarwal; +Cc: caml-list

On 08/10/13 16:24, Ashish Agarwal wrote:
> OCamldoc has trouble finding references to modules in some cases. I wouldn't worry about it. See the opam-doc project [1], which aims to provide a more robust documentation tool.
>
> [1] http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/ocamllabs/tasks/platform.html#OPAM Doc

I wonder, why is ocamldoc mentioned in the User's Manual [2] if people, as you suggest, are not supposed to be worried about it and, on the other hand, there is no trace of OPAM therein.

A puzzle.

[2] http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamldoc ... "Warning: Module or module type BatSet.StringSet not found"
@ 2013-10-08 17:29     ` Ashish Agarwal
From: Ashish Agarwal @ 2013-10-08 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matej Kosik; +Cc: caml-list

The User's Manual discusses items that are part of the "official" OCaml
distribution from Inria. OCamldoc has long served the community and
continues to be widely used. On the other hand, the community has recently
initiated quite a few projects to improve many things, a documentation tool
being one of them. Over time, you're probably right that some topics in the
User's Manual should defer to other resources like ocaml.org (which is
itself being enhanced in many ways).

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Matej Kosik <

@ 2013-10-08 17:44 ` Maxence Guesdon
From: Maxence Guesdon @ 2013-10-08 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Matej Kosik

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 15:36:32 +0100
Matej Kosik <5764c029b688c1c0d24a2e97cd764f@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A couple of weeks ago I started to use ocamldoc.
> In certain situation, it gives me:
>
> 	"Warning: Module or module type BatSet.StringSet not found"
>
> The simplest "program" that triggers it is:
>
> 	module StringSet = BatSet.StringSet
>
> I get it with the following command:
>
> 	ocamlfind doc -html -package batteries main.ml
>
> I thought that some -I path was missing, so I tried:
>
> 	ocamlfind doc -html -thread -package batteries `ocamlfind query -i-format -recursive batteries` main.ml
>
> but the warning remains.
>
> It is not a big deal but I still wonder why I get it.
> ((The program itself compiles without kind of warning.))

This message is not about not finding libraries so adding -I options is useless.

ocamldoc complains about not finding ocamldoc information about
BatSet.StringSet to create cross reference links in documentation.

To fix it, you have to give sources of BatSet on the ocamldoc command
line, or use the -load option to load an ocamldoc dump produced from
the BatSet sources.

Regards,

Maxence