* [Caml-list] generating a call-graph
@ 2003-05-23 16:34 Yaron M. Minsky
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Yaron M. Minsky @ 2003-05-23 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Does anyone know a way of generating a call-graph from a set of ocaml
sources?  What I want to do is, at a minimum, get a list of all the
functions that could be called as a result of a given function invocation.
 Essentially, I'm looking for dependency information on the function-call
level, similar to what ocamldep provides on the module level.

|--------/            Yaron M. Minsky              \--------|
|--------\ http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/yminsky/ /--------|

Open PGP --- KeyID B1FFD916 (new key as of Dec 4th)
Fingerprint: 5BF6 83E1 0CE3 1043 95D8 F8D5 9F12 B3A9 B1FF D916

* Re: [Caml-list] generating a call-graph
@ 2003-05-26  0:51 ` Jeff Henrikson
From: Jeff Henrikson @ 2003-05-26  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron M. Minsky; +Cc: caml-list

> Does anyone know a way of generating a call-graph from a set of ocaml
> sources?  What I want to do is, at a minimum, get a list of all the
> functions that could be called as a result of a given function
> invocation.
>  Essentially, I'm looking for dependency information on the
> function-call
> level, similar to what ocamldep provides on the module level.

I have a tree walker function generator for caml expressions in camlp4
that would make short work of this.  But I don't know how to get an
MLast datum for an entire file.  Anybody know how to do this?  It seems
that MLast.The following does not work:

Grammar.Entry.parse str_item (Stream.of_string
   "let f x = x*x;; let g x = x+x;;");;

(It stops at the semicolon and returns just the f definition.)

Jeff Henrikson

* Re: [Caml-list] generating a call-graph
@ 2003-05-26  9:14 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-05-26  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron M. Minsky; +Cc: caml-list

> Does anyone know a way of generating a call-graph from a set of ocaml
> sources?  What I want to do is, at a minimum, get a list of all the
> functions that could be called as a result of a given function invocation.

This requires a non-trivial static analysis called "control flow
analysis" in the literature; particular instances include Shivers'
0-CFA and k-CFA, Jagannathan and Wright's "polymorphic splitting",
etc.

The difficulty is that functions are first-class values, so the
function you're applying can be a parameter to another function, or a
member of a data structure.  (Objects raise similar issues.)
Thus, the control flow cannot be determined independently of the data
flow, and "control flow analysis" is really a data flow analysis that
tracks the flow of functional values.

I don't know of any implementation of control-flow analysis for the
whole OCaml language.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] generating a call-graph
@ 2003-05-27  2:40 ` Jeff Henrikson
From: Jeff Henrikson @ 2003-05-27  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron M. Minsky; +Cc: caml-list

> Does anyone know a way of generating a call-graph from a set of ocaml
> sources?  What I want to do is, at a minimum, get a list of all the
> functions that could be called as a result of a given function
> invocation.
>  Essentially, I'm looking for dependency information on the
> function-call
> level, similar to what ocamldep provides on the module level.

Xavier Leroy points out something more complicated than I was thinking.
  What I was going to do was, for each function f with a definition in
the top environment, generate the list of all other such functions
lexically bound inside f.  Maybe add a hack for non-functor modules or
something.  So that throws out all anonymous functions and lots more.
It's not really about call path.  I was presuming it was for assisting
visual code inspection.

What is it for in reality?

Jeff

@ 2003-06-03  4:27   ` John Max Skaller
From: John Max Skaller @ 2003-06-03  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

Xavier Leroy wrote:

>>Does anyone know a way of generating a call-graph from a set of ocaml
>>sources?  What I want to do is, at a minimum, get a list of all the
>>functions that could be called as a result of a given function invocation.
>>

> This requires a non-trivial static analysis called "control flow
> analysis" in the literature; particular instances include Shivers'
> 0-CFA and k-CFA, Jagannathan and Wright's "polymorphic splitting",
> etc.
>
> The difficulty is that functions are first-class values

.. and the difficulty can be bypassed by considering
the actual industrial requirement, which probably
isn't as stated above.

We often want to know what the definition
of a function depends on, and that clearly *excludes*
any functions passed in as parameters.

Second, an incomplete graph would still be very useful.
For example to determine if you can move a function
definition earlier in the code, so as to call it from
some other function -- or whether you would have to move
a lot more functions back -- and if so which ones --
and, indeed, if it is possible at all (without recursion).

I guess a patch to the parser could gather the required
information easily ( the main difficulty being
the huge number of anonymous functions that tend to
float around when one does currying).

--
John Max Skaller, mailto:skaller@ozemail.com.au
snail:10/1 Toxteth Rd, Glebe, NSW 2037, Australia.