* [Caml-list] Ocamlodbc
@ 2003-10-27 13:32 Alex Baretta
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alex Baretta @ 2003-10-27 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxence Guesdon, Ocaml

I'm working on interfacing a piece of Ocaml code with an Oracle dbms. I
noticed that Ocamlodbc does support Oracle, and I've been able to build
both the unixodbc and the ocamlodbc/oraclecfo libraries. I'd like to
know what C client libraries/ODBC drivers i need for Oracle to work with
ocamlodbc.

Also, does anyone know if there is a "native" client library for Oracle
à la libpq de PostgreSQL?

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocamlodbc
@ 2003-10-27 14:48 ` Erik Arneson
From: Erik Arneson @ 2003-10-27 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Baretta; +Cc: Ocaml

On 27-Oct-2003, Alex Baretta <alex@baretta.com> wrote:
> I'm working on interfacing a piece of Ocaml code with an Oracle
> dbms. I noticed that Ocamlodbc does support Oracle, and I've been able
> to build both the unixodbc and the ocamlodbc/oraclecfo libraries. I'd
> like to know what C client libraries/ODBC drivers i need for Oracle to
> work with ocamlodbc.

You will need the Oracle client installation and an ODBC driver.  As
far as I know there are no stable freely-available Oracle ODBC drivers
for UnixODBC, but there are a few commercial drivers that look pretty
nice.

> Also, does anyone know if there is a "native" client library for
> Oracle à la libpq de PostgreSQL?

Search the Caml Humps for the OCaml OCI library.  There is one out
there.  I have used it with success.  Here's the URL:

                   <http://oci8ml.sourceforge.net/>

Good luck!

--
;; Erik Arneson <erik@aarg.net>    AARG Net <http://www.aarg.net/> ;;
;; GPG Key ID: 2048R/8B4CBC9C           <http://erik.arneson.org/> ;;

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocamlodbc
@ 2003-10-27 15:34 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-10-27 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ocaml

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 02:32:33PM +0100, Alex Baretta wrote:
> I'm working on interfacing a piece of Ocaml code with an Oracle dbms.

While perhaps not an ideal solution, it may be possible to connect
OCaml to Oracle using mod_caml (the Dbi part) + perl4caml + the
appropriate Perl DBD::Oracle.

Alternately you could use perl4caml alone to invoke the Perl DBI/
DBD::Oracle directly.

It's one solution you might want to look at anyhow.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocamlodbc
@ 2003-10-27 16:43 ` Sebastien Ferre
From: Sebastien Ferre @ 2003-10-27 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, alex

I recently implemented an access to Oracle for OCaml.
I just use the free C library libsqlora8, which provides
an easy interface to Oracle, and wrap it in a OCaml module.
The interface is simple, and probably limited, but I think
it is suitable to most uses.

The C library is available at http://www.poitschke.de/libsqlora8/.
I can give you the wrapping code (a C file + a ML file), if you wish.

Hope this helps,
Sebastien

--
Sebastien B. Ferre
Computer Science, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, UK

* Re: [Caml-list] Oracle access [was: Ocamlodbc]
@ 2003-10-28  8:43   ` Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2003-10-28  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Ferre; +Cc: Ocaml

Sebastien Ferre wrote:

> I recently implemented an access to Oracle for OCaml.
> I just use the free C library libsqlora8, which provides
> an easy interface to Oracle, and wrap it in a OCaml module.
> The interface is simple, and probably limited, but I think
> it is suitable to most uses.

This seems extremely promising. Thank you very much for the reference.

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocamlodbc
@ 2003-10-30 14:11   ` Vitaly Lugovsky
From: Vitaly Lugovsky @ 2003-10-30 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Arneson; +Cc: Alex Baretta, Ocaml

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Erik Arneson wrote:

> > Also, does anyone know if there is a "native" client library for
> > Oracle ? la libpq de PostgreSQL?
>
> Search the Caml Humps for the OCaml OCI library.  There is one
> out there.  I have used it with success.  Here's the URL:
>
>                    <http://oci8ml.sourceforge.net/>

 And, btw., there are also some instructions on torturing a
minimal oracle client installation (down to 8mb) to use libclntsh
only. I used this technique (I don't know, and don't want to
know, how legal it is) even on a *very* thin clients.

 Hm... May be, there'll be someone bold enough to
reverse-engeneer OCI protocol from that thin jdbc drivers, and
we'll have an open-source scalable (down to embedded...) client
libs...

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocamlodbc
@ 2003-10-30 17:32     ` Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2003-10-30 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Lugovsky, Ocaml

Vitaly Lugovsky wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Erik Arneson wrote:

>  And, btw., there are also some instructions on torturing a
> minimal oracle client installation (down to 8mb) to use libclntsh
> only. I used this technique (I don't know, and don't want to
> know, how legal it is) even on a *very* thin clients.
>
>  Hm... May be, there'll be someone bold enough to
> reverse-engeneer OCI protocol from that thin jdbc drivers, and
> we'll have an open-source scalable (down to embedded...) client
> libs...

I'd be glad to, if anyone is bold enough to pay me... ;)

Alex