* [Caml-list] OCaml installer for windows available
@ 2011-09-17 15:48 Jonathan Protzenko
From: Jonathan Protzenko @ 2011-09-17 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,

        tl;dr<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tl%3Bdr>

I created an installer for Windows. I'd be happy if you could try it
out, give me feedback, and tell me if it works for you. Download it
there: <http://yquem.inria.fr/~protzenk/caml-installer.html>.

        What does the installer do?

The installer is built using mingw/msys (*not* cygwin), 32bit flavor.
The installer :
- installs a full ocaml distribution,
- sets up the path, env variables, ld.conf, etc.
- downloads the right activetcl installer and launches its setup if the
user doesn't have the right version of activetcl installed already,
- unless the user opts-out, the installer will download emacs, install
the caml-mode files, associate .ml and .mli files with emacs in the
windows explorer, and write the right .el files so that the caml-mode is
operational without requiring any extra configuration,
- the installer will also add start menu entries and register uninstall
information for the control panel "add/remove programs" thingy.

Basically, once the installer is done, you can fire up an emacs and do
M-x run-caml, and it works.

Because I'm not bundling any as.exe, users will need extra steps to
enjoy native compilation. The recommended procedure (also described at
the link above) is to install mingw/msys to get a working unix-like
environment, and export the right FLEXLINKFLAGS. Because I'm bundling
flexlink in the installer, this is the only manual action that's required.

        Target audience

My main target is students / non-geeks who just want an emacs to play
with, and possibly a little bit extra environment to try out
compilation. I don't intend on investing a lot of time / energy into
this. My goal is not to provide anything like a full ocaml distribution
(I've been told godi works on windows), more like a quick and easy way
to get setup.

        I would like you to implement feature X

If you have any feature requests, please submit a patch. The project
lives on GitHub <https://github.com/protz/ocaml-installer> so please do
send pull requests if you feel so inclined.

Cheers,

jonathan