* Re: [Caml-list] beginner's questions
@ 2002-10-07 18:26 Hallvard Ystad
From: Hallvard Ystad @ 2002-10-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

So what does all this mean? May I avoid the whole problem by downloading version 3.05, or do I have to wait for 3.07?

I made the changes you mentioned below, but I still get this:
C:\ocaml>make -f Makefile.nt world
cd byterun ; make -f Makefile.nt all
gcc -mno-cygwin -DIN_OCAMLRUN -DOCAML_STDLIB_DIR='"C:/ocamlmgw/lib"' -O -Wall -W
interp.c
interp.c(215): jumptbl.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [interp.d.o] Error 1
make: *** [coldstart] Error 2

So the file jumptbl.h is still missing. What should I do?

~HY
(sorry if this is out of this list's scope. If so, please tell me where to look for this kind of help.)

Dixit dmitry grebeniuk (10.19 02.10.2002):

       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.21.0210091011210.13779-100000@vestra.bendery.md >
@ 2002-10-09  9:13   ` Hallvard Ystad
From: Hallvard Ystad @ 2002-10-09  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

OK, thanks. Things work better now. But there still is a problem. There seems to be noe file named "ocamlrun.a" anywhere, but it is required by byterun/Makefile.nt, line 43:
        $(CC) -o ocamlrun.exe main.$(DO) ocamlrun.$(A)

I get this error in the DOS console:
C:/mingw/bin/gcc -mno-cygwin -o ocamlrun.exe main.d.o ocamlrun.a
gcc: ocamlrun.a: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [ocamlrun.exe] Error 1
make: *** [coldstart] Error 2

(I need to specify full path to gcc, because I have WebObjects installed on my computer, with an older version of gcc. It took a while to figure that out. WO has bugged me before, overriding my java paths, so I really wasn't all that surprised.)

Is ocamlrun.a really missing, or am I overlooking something again?

Thanks,
~H

Dixit dmitry grebeniuk (09.13 09.10.2002):
>On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Hallvard Ystad wrote:
>
>> Sorry about this posting to your personal mail account. I was going to send it to the list, but changed a few parameters here and there, and then suddenly... the To: field had nothing but your name in it. I only found out now. I didn't mean to bug you personnaly with my questions.
>
>  You don't need to sorry.
>  Your problem (missing jumptbl.h) can be fixed manually:
>
>$ cd byterun
>$ make -f Makefile.nt jumptbl.h
>

>bye

Prætera censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

* Re: [Caml-list] beginner's questions
@ 2002-10-02  8:19         ` dmitry grebeniuk
From: dmitry grebeniuk @ 2002-10-02  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

@ 2002-10-01  9:20       ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-10-01  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmitry grebeniuk; +Cc: caml-list

>   jumptbl.h is generated from existing files.  I made it "by hand":
> cd byterun && make -f Makefile.nt jumptbl.h
>   before running "make world".

Right, I believe this is a small bug in the 3.06 distribution
(the file byterun/.depend.nt should be in the distributed sources, but
isn't).

>   But real problems begin further, at Dynlink module (generally at first
> module when exception End_of_file needs to be got from stdlib.cma).
> I can't cite the exact error message, but ocamlc can't find "End_of_file"
> exception in "stdlib.cma(Pervasives)".
>   Really, any small test program, which requires End_of_file, can't be
> compiled, and the problem is not in bad paths to library/compiler.

Probably the file bytecomp/runtimedef.ml was generated incorrectly,
maybe because you didn't use the correct version of "sed".  The
Win32 Makefiles are known to work with GNU sed as found in Cygwin, but
one user reported problems with another version of sed coming from
another Windows port of Unix tools.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] beginner's questions
@ 2002-09-30 13:16     ` dmitry grebeniuk
From: dmitry grebeniuk @ 2002-09-30 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Hallvard Ystad wrote:

> ..or MinGW. I tried to compile ocaml with MinGW installed, and then got this error message (copied from console):
> C:\ocaml>make -f Makefile.nt world
> cd byterun ; make -f Makefile.nt all
> gcc -mno-cygwin -DIN_OCAMLRUN -DOCAML_STDLIB_DIR='"C:/ocamlmgw/lib"' -O -Wall -Wno-unused -D_DLL -c interp.c
> interp.c(215): jumptbl.h: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [interp.d.o] Error 1
> make: *** [coldstart] Error 2

  jumptbl.h is generated from existing files.  I made it "by hand":
cd byterun && make -f Makefile.nt jumptbl.h
  before running "make world".

  But real problems begin further, at Dynlink module (generally at first
module when exception End_of_file needs to be got from stdlib.cma).
I can't cite the exact error message, but ocamlc can't find "End_of_file"
exception in "stdlib.cma(Pervasives)".
  Really, any small test program, which requires End_of_file, can't be
compiled, and the problem is not in bad paths to library/compiler.

  I'm using mingw 2.0 (gcc 3.2, binutils 2.13).

  Where I'm wrong?

bye

* Re: [Caml-list] beginner's questions
@ 2002-09-29 11:37   ` Hallvard Ystad
From: Hallvard Ystad @ 2002-09-29 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dixit Dmitry Bely (14.17 21.09.2002):
>They do. See readme.win32:
>
>[---cut---]
>Here is a summary of the main differences between these ports:
>
>                                      Native MS     Native MinGW        Cygwin
>Third-party software required
>  - for base bytecode system            none            none            none
>  - for ocamlc -custom                  MSVC         MinGW or Cygwin    Cygwin
>  - for native-code generation          MSVC+MASM    MinGW or Cygwin    Cygwin
>[---cut---]
>
>So if you are going to use ocamlopt from win32 binary distribution, you have
>to install Microsoft Visual C and Microsoft Macro Assembler on your computer.

..or MinGW. I tried to compile ocaml with MinGW installed, and then got this error message (copied from console):
C:\ocaml>make -f Makefile.nt world
cd byterun ; make -f Makefile.nt all
gcc -mno-cygwin -DIN_OCAMLRUN -DOCAML_STDLIB_DIR='"C:/ocamlmgw/lib"' -O -Wall -Wno-unused -D_DLL -c interp.c
interp.c(215): jumptbl.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [interp.d.o] Error 1
make: *** [coldstart] Error 2

So what did I miss now? It seems jumptbl.h isn't included in the distribution... Or am I mistaken again?

>> Hope someone can help with the compile problem (and maybe tell me how to
>> compile with the regexp library too?).
>
>Which one? E.g. module "Str" is already included into the standard library.

Actually, I was asking for a friend. He thinks it's called PCRE.

Thanks,
~H

@ 2002-09-21 12:17 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-09-21 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hallvard Ystad <hallvard.ystad@helpinhand.com> writes:

> I'm just about to get started with caml, but I encounter a few problems.
> To do something simple, I took Stephan Houben's calc.ml (from
> http://caml.inria.fr/FAQ/stephan.html), added a function to avoid division
> by zero, and tried to compile it to native code using ocamlopt (on a
> windows 2000 machine). Here's what I get:
> D:\ocaml>ocamlopt calc.ml
> 'ml' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
> Assembler error, input left in file C:\DOCUME~1\............\Temp\camlasm8c5322.asm
> Did I miss something? Am I dumb? I've tried to read the documentation for
> compiling (found in differen FAQs), but none  of them seem to mention
> special constraints for the windows platform.

They do. See readme.win32:

[---cut---]
       Release notes on the MS Windows ports of Objective Caml

Starting with OCaml 3.05, there are no less than three ports of
Objective Caml for MS Windows available:
  - a native Win32 port, built with the Microsoft development tools;
  - a native Win32 port, built with the MinGW development tools;
  - a port consisting of the Unix sources compiled under the Cygwin
    Unix-like environment for Windows.

Here is a summary of the main differences between these ports:

                                      Native MS     Native MinGW        Cygwin
Third-party software required
  - for base bytecode system            none            none            none
  - for ocamlc -custom                  MSVC         MinGW or Cygwin    Cygwin
  - for native-code generation          MSVC+MASM    MinGW or Cygwin    Cygwin
[---cut---]

So if you are going to use ocamlopt from win32 binary distribution, you have
to install Microsoft Visual C and Microsoft Macro Assembler on your computer.

> Second issue (not a problem!): when I try to run the ocamlbrowser, it
> complains about not finding tk83.dll and tcl83.dll. Well, I seem to have a
> version too new for this. My files are tk84.dll and tcl84.dll. I had to
> make copies of them with the "older" names for ocamlbrowser to work...

Again, the binary build expects Tcl/Tk 8.3 installed. To work with other
version you can rebuild the whole Ocaml from the sources.

> Hope someone can help with the compile problem (and maybe tell me how to
> compile with the regexp library too?).

Which one? E.g. module "Str" is already included into the standard library.

- Dmitry Bely

* [Caml-list] beginner's questions
@ 2002-09-21 11:35 Hallvard Ystad
From: Hallvard Ystad @ 2002-09-21 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)