From: "Arthur Charguéraud" <arthur@chargueraud.org>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list]  teaching OCaml
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:43:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Bob,

I have been teaching OCaml for a while, and like you I found error
messages to be a major issue. This motivated my recent work on
improving type error messages for OCaml.

My patch is ready for action.

opam switch 4.03.0+pr102
ocamlc -new-type-errors -strict-sequence test.ml

For more information: http://arthur.chargueraud.org/teach/ocaml/

If you have a chance to try it on beginners, please share your feedback!

Best,
Arthur Charguéraud

PS: I know of on-going efforts to try and improve parsing errors too
---it be great to have those fixed too.

PPS: although my patch is usable, I have planned to fix a few things.
- Have a two-column display for type errors on applications,
     with expected types and provided types.
- Remove bracket delimiters around types and use newlines instead.
- Have "-new-type-errors" imply "-strict-sequence",
- Document the fact it does not support GADTs, and does not
    typecheck with "-principal", in particular code that uses overloading
    of record fields.
- Isolate the code associated with "-new-type-errors" so that the patch
    may have a chance of being considered for integration in OCaml.