From: Michael Hamburg <hamburg@fas.harvard.edu>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Teaching OCaml
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 13:27:02 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi.

A few thoughts on the subject.

Iif you want practical features of OCaml, you could try the classic
"QuickSort in n lines" where n depends on how efficient you want to
make it, but you can still achieve O(n log n) in something like 4
lines.  It takes 10 or so to be efficient, compared to at least 50 in
C.  Of course, Haskell has even nicer syntax for this, but it looks
good in O'Caml too.

As for conceptual features, O'Caml is, as far as I know, the only
functional language with OO, even if it is somewhat limited OO (due to
type-system constraints).  For industrial projects, this enables
programmers to work together more easily (or is intended to, anyway),
while writing much less code than for most imperative languages.  For
academics, it has been said that programmers, especially
mathematicians, find functional programming very intuitive.

Just some suggestions,
Mike Hamburg