* [Caml-list] Unary negation parsing
@ 2015-12-02 18:59 Stanislav Artemkin
From: Stanislav Artemkin @ 2015-12-02 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I've just stumbled upon yet another question about unary negation parsing (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34044873/passing-negative-integer-to-a-function-in-ocaml
):

let f x = x + 1 in
f -1

is not valid in OCaml.

I'm just wondering why this issue is still not addressed in the parser? For
example, F# parses "f -1" as unary negation, but "f - 1" and "f-1" as
binary operator. It looks a bit tricky (as whitespace is taken into
account), but feels so natural when writing code.

Is there any reason we can't have the same in OCaml?

PS. I understand that it may break existing code, but it should be solvable
by a compiler option similar to -safe-string etc.

Thank you

* Re: [Caml-list] Unary negation parsing
@ 2015-12-02 20:49 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2015-12-02 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thinking that this is a mostly aesthetic question, with one little
exception:

# max_int;;
- : int = 4611686018427387903
# -4611686018427387904;;
- : int = -4611686018427387904
# 4611686018427387904;;
- : int = -4611686018427387904
# 4611686018427387905;;
Error: Integer literal exceeds the range of representable integers of
type int

In short, the literal maxint+1 is accepted because minint=-(maxint+1),
and we don't have negative literals.

However, the question is whether it is worth the trouble changing it. As
you mention -safe-string, I just went through a large library and
updated it, and it was far from trivial (needed GADTs) and a lot of work
(something like 30 hours, really). I'm still skeptical whether changes
of this kind get you a real benefit.

Gerd

Am Mittwoch, den 02.12.2015, 22:59 +0400 schrieb Stanislav Artemkin:
> Hi all,
>

> I've just stumbled upon yet another question about unary negation
> parsing
> (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34044873/passing-negative-integer-to-a-function-in-ocaml):
>

> let f x = x + 1 in
> f -1
>

> is not valid in OCaml.
>

> I'm just wondering why this issue is still not addressed in the
> parser? For example, F# parses "f -1" as unary negation, but "f - 1"
> and "f-1" as binary operator. It looks a bit tricky (as whitespace is
> taken into account), but feels so natural when writing code.
>

> Is there any reason we can't have the same in OCaml?
>

> PS. I understand that it may break existing code, but it should be
> solvable by a compiler option similar to -safe-string etc.
>

> Thank you

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
My OCaml site:          http://www.camlcity.org

* Re: [Caml-list] Unary negation parsing
@ 2015-12-02 21:21 ` Mr. Herr
From: Mr. Herr @ 2015-12-02 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 02.12.2015 19:59, Stanislav Artemkin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just stumbled upon yet another question about unary negation parsing
> (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34044873/passing-negative-integer-to-a-function-in-ocaml):
>
> let f x = x + 1 in
> f -1
>
> is not valid in OCaml.
>
> I'm just wondering why this issue is still not addressed in the parser? For
> example, F# parses "f -1" as unary negation, but "f - 1" and "f-1" as binary
> operator. It looks a bit tricky (as whitespace is taken into account), but feels so
> natural when writing code.
>
> Is there any reason we can't have the same in OCaml?
>
> PS. I understand that it may break existing code, but it should be solvable by a
> compiler option similar to -safe-string etc.

I think this is a non-issue, and it is easily explained to every beginner. And you
say yourself: ... tricky .. whitespace ... may break existing code ...

/Str.

* Re: [Caml-list] Unary negation parsing
@ 2015-12-03 10:02   ` Stanislav Artemkin
From: Stanislav Artemkin @ 2015-12-03 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)