* [Caml-list] LLVM debug information
@ 2016-04-21 21:07 picflo_2
From: picflo_2 @ 2016-04-21 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

* Re: [Caml-list] LLVM debug information
@ 2016-04-22  8:46 ` Ulrich Schöpp
From: Ulrich Schöpp @ 2016-04-22  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

have you seen that the go bindings already contain a C wrapper for the
DIBuilder class?

https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/master/bindings/go/llvm/DIBuilderBindings.h

It contains this comment:

// FIXME: These bindings shouldn't be Go-specific and should eventually
// move to a (somewhat) less stable collection of C APIs for use in
// creating bindings of LLVM in other languages.

I would also be interested in OCaml bindings for this.

Best,
Ulrich

On 21/04/16 23:07, picflo_2@web.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> at the company I currently work for LLVM is used for the backend of a
> DSL. Since this DSL is missing a debugger
> i was looking into this topic and what would actually be missing to add
> the required information to use something like
> lldb or gdb or even link it to the Visual Studio MI Debug Engine to
> debug the resulting code. If I understand it correctly
> the OCaml LLVM bindings only give access to the IRBuilder class and not
> the required DIBuilder class? Would it be sufficient
> to add at first the C wrapper for the DIBuilder class and then the OCaml
> bindings using these C wrapper to add debug information
> to the offical LLVM repo to start writing a DSL specific debugger using
> OCaml?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Florian

* Aw: [Caml-list] LLVM debug information
@ 2016-04-22  9:51   ` picflo_2
From: picflo_2 @ 2016-04-22  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schoepp; +Cc: caml-list

* Re: [Caml-list] LLVM debug information
@ 2016-05-02 16:15     ` whitequark
From: whitequark @ 2016-05-02 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: picflo_2; +Cc: schoepp, caml-list

On 2016-04-22 12:51, picflo_2@web.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the link seems promising.
>
> There shouldn't be then any objective to make a pull request to move
> this or a copy of it into the
> llvm/include/llvm-c folder? From there on we could work on the missing
> ocaml bindings

Exposing DIBuilder to llvm-c properly is somewhat complicated and what
you propose was considered and rejected over two years ago. However,
there is ongoing work to bring debug information to LLVM-C and you
may watch it on http://reviews.llvm.org/D19088.

After that's merged the OCaml part is straightforward.

--
whitequark

* Aw: [Caml-list] LLVM debug information
@ 2016-05-04 13:18       ` picflo_2
From: picflo_2 @ 2016-05-04 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: whitequark; +Cc: schoepp, caml-list