* [Caml-list] About recently dead compiler-hacking wiki
@ 2016-09-30 12:58 Kakadu
From: Kakadu @ 2016-09-30 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Hey, folks

Compiler hacking is fun. Hacking compiler with a feature that can be
potentially appreciated is a double fun. But ocamllabs wiki is dead.
Do we have a list of crazy ideas for compiler on mantis or somewhere
else to work ourselves or give to undergraduates as a pet project?

Gasche-style lists with small descriptions like [1] are quite good. If
you have personal ones I will be happy to look on them (you can post
them there). Even in french.

Happy hacking,
Kakadu

[1] http://gallium.inria.fr/~scherer/description_projets_ocaml.html

* Re: [Caml-list] About recently dead compiler-hacking wiki
@ 2016-09-30 13:07 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2016-09-30 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kakadu; +Cc: Caml List

On 30 Sep 2016, at 13:58, Kakadu <kakadu.hafanana@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, folks
>
> Compiler hacking is fun. Hacking compiler with a feature that can be
> potentially appreciated is a double fun. But ocamllabs wiki is dead.
> Do we have a list of crazy ideas for compiler on mantis or somewhere
> else to work ourselves or give to undergraduates as a pet project?

Umm, the above rumours of the death of the OCaml Labs wiki may be slightly premature.
https://github.com/ocamllabs/compiler-hacking/wiki/Things-to-work-on

...indicates that the project list isn't curated actively and that it's not authoritative to avoid misleading students, but the list is still a good source of interesting projects.  Note that it's open for editing by anyone, so you are more welcome to help out by editing and refreshing any projects in there.

Cambridge Compiler hacking sessions took a hiatus for the summer, but will return soon for those in the region:
https://ocamllabs.github.io/compiler-hacking/

It would be great to see similar events in Paris or elsewhere if anyone is interested in organising them!

regards,
Anil

* Re: [Caml-list] About recently dead compiler-hacking wiki
@ 2016-09-30 13:07 ` John Whitington
From: John Whitington @ 2016-09-30 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kakadu; +Cc: Caml List

Hi,

Kakadu wrote:
> Hey, folks
>
> Compiler hacking is fun. Hacking compiler with a feature that can be
> potentially appreciated is a double fun. But ocamllabs wiki is dead.
> Do we have a list of crazy ideas for compiler on mantis or somewhere
> else to work ourselves or give to undergraduates as a pet project?

The ocamllabs wiki used to have a list of good things for beginners. In
that vein, there are a few things marked 'junior_job' here:

http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

(Use 'junior_job' as the search term)

John

--
John Whitington
Director, Coherent Graphics Ltd

* Re: [Caml-list] About recently dead compiler-hacking wiki
@ 2016-09-30 13:33   ` Kakadu
From: Kakadu @ 2016-09-30 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Whitington; +Cc: Caml List

John,

This search gives me only 3 issues that are not closed.  Am I doing
the search righ?

Kakadu

@ 2016-09-30 13:48     ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2016-09-30 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kakadu; +Cc: John Whitington, Caml List

To look for issues tagged junior_job from
http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php , first reset your
current Mantis filter ("Reset filter"), then click the "Tags" link in the
filter form, that will open an input field where you can write (or select)
"junior_job".

The following link also works (built using the "Create Permalink" option to
get a URL from a filter):

http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/search.php?project_id=1&resolution_id[]=10&resolution_id[]=30&sticky_issues=on&sortby=last_updated&dir=DESC&hide_status_id=-2&tag_string=junior_job

@ 2016-10-01  0:07       ` Junsong Li
From: Junsong Li @ 2016-10-01  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Kakadu, John Whitington, Caml List

Wow, I think Gabriel's list is more tangible than that wiki.

@Kakadu the wiki is for a local OCaml hacking group, so it may be outdated,
and the listed projects are not agreed by the core team. You need to
discuss with them the viability of the project before the attack!

@ 2016-10-01  5:22         ` Kakadu
From: Kakadu @ 2016-10-01  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junsong Li; +Cc: Caml List