* [Caml-list] GADT: question about inference
@ 2013-07-26 17:15 Mathieu Barbin
From: Mathieu Barbin @ 2013-07-26 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

Playing around with a reduced version of a dynamic types, I ran into some
type errors, and I feel that I'd love to understand more about the way the
inference work:

type _ ty  = Int : int ty | String : string ty

module H : sig
  type t
  val ty : t ty
end = struct
  type t = int
  let ty = Int
end

(* from now, trying various implementation for [f] *)

let f : H.t -> int =
    match H.ty with
    | Int -> (fun (a : H.t) -> (a : int))
    | _ -> assert false
  ;;
Error: This expression has type H.t but an expression was expected of type
         int

let f : H.t -> int = fun (a : H.t) ->
    match H.ty with
    | Int -> (a : int)
    | _ -> assert false
  ;;
Error: This expression has type H.t but an expression was expected of type
         int

let f : H.t -> int =
  let aux : type a. a ty -> a -> int = function
    | Int -> (fun a -> a)
    | _ -> assert false
  in
  aux H.ty
  ;;

(* val f : H.t -> int = <fun> *)

I can't quite come up with a clear mental model of why in-lining the
pattern matching in the first versions of [f]t would not type check. I
tried adding some more type coercions without great success. I'd be very
grateful to get some feed back about this restriction.

Thanks,
Mathieu

* Re: [Caml-list] GADT: question about inference
@ 2013-07-26 20:27 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2013-07-26 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Barbin; +Cc: caml-list

This is explained in the manual (emphasis mine)
  http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual021.html#toc85

> The constraints associated to each constructor can be recovered through pattern-matching.
> Namely, **if the type of the scrutinee of a pattern-matching contains a locally abstract type**,
> this type can be refined according to the constructor used.

The only types that can be refined by the type equalities introduced
by GADT are locally abstract types, the variable-like constructor "a"
introduced by the "(type a)" and "foo : type a . bar" syntaxes. Your
first two examples have no locally abstract type, only type members of
modules, so there was no GADT refinement happening.

@ 2013-07-26 21:25   ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2013-07-26 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Mathieu Barbin, caml-list

On 7/26/2013 10:27 PM, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
> This is explained in the manual (emphasis mine)
>    http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual021.html#toc85
>
>> The constraints associated to each constructor can be recovered through pattern-matching.
>> Namely, **if the type of the scrutinee of a pattern-matching contains a locally abstract type**,
>> this type can be refined according to the constructor used.
>
> The only types that can be refined by the type equalities introduced
> by GADT are locally abstract types, the variable-like constructor "a"
> introduced by the "(type a)" and "foo : type a . bar" syntaxes. Your
> first two examples have no locally abstract type, only type members of
> modules, so there was no GADT refinement happening.

A feature request related to allowing more kinds of types to be refined
by GADT patterns (abstract types in the current environment, introduced
by unpacking a module -- but the same would be useful for abstract types
in a functor's argument):

http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=5713

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] GADT: question about inference
@ 2013-07-28  0:29     ` Mathieu Barbin
From: Mathieu Barbin @ 2013-07-28  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Frisch; +Cc: Gabriel Scherer, caml-list