* [Caml-list] OCamldoc plugins & ocamlbuild
@ 2015-12-18 16:14 Armaël Guéneau
From: Armaël Guéneau @ 2015-12-18 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

I'm wondering how one should compile ocamldoc custom generators
<http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/ocamldoc.html#sec333> using
ocamlbuild.

First, the ocamlbuild manual
(https://github.com/gasche/manual-ocamlbuild/blob/master/manual.md#basic-tags-)
says that the [use_ocamldoc] tag is deprecated; and that a corresponding
ocamlfind package should be used instead. Is there such a package for
ocamldoc?
I did not found one.

Then, I did not manage to build the plugin into .cma/.cmxs files
directly using
ocamlbuild. My command line was something along these lines:

    ocamlbuild -use-ocamlfind -tag use_ocamldoc -package compiler-libs
plugin.cmxs

When trying to build plugin.cma/plugin.cmxs, ocamlbuild complained that
"Cannot
find file ocamldoc.cma/ocamldoc.cmxa" (respectively). However, I can build
plugin.cmo/plugin.cmx using the same command line, then create the
.cma/.cmxs
manually using ocamlc/ocamlopt - which I ended up doing.

Is there a better way to do so? If the whole process can be improved
(how?), I
would be happy to write the required patches/documentation.

— Armaël