* [Caml-list] Trouble building ocaml3.04
@ 2002-02-19 20:44 David Guaspari
From: David Guaspari @ 2002-02-19 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'caml-list@inria.fr'

I am trying to build ocaml3.04 under cygwin.  Step 1, invoking "configure",
finishes without complaint.  Step 2, "make world", fails while trying to
compile the debugger.  Within the debugger subdirectory, it is executing (in
the local Makefile) the command to make ocamldebug.exe (having successfully
compiled everything on which it depends), namely

	../boot/ocamlrun ../ocamlc -I ../boot -linkall -I ../otherlibs/unix
-o                      ocamldebug.exe  <long list of .cmo files omitted >

and this fails with the error message

	gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
	gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
	gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
	gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
	Error while building custom runtime system
	make[1]: *** [ocamldebug.exe] Error 2
	make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/ocaml-3.04/debugger'
	make: *** [ocamldebugger] Error 2

Can anyone help?  (I have succeeded in building ocaml on another PC that is
configured almost identically.)

David Guaspari
ATC-NY
33 Thornwood Drive, Suite 500
Ithaca NY 14850-1250
voice: (607) 266-7114
fax:   (607) 257-1972
davidg@oracorp.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Trouble building ocaml3.04
@ 2002-02-20  8:43 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-02-20  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

David Guaspari <davidg@oracorp.com> writes:

> I am trying to build ocaml3.04 under cygwin.  Step 1, invoking "configure",
> finishes without complaint.  Step 2, "make world", fails while trying to
> compile the debugger.  Within the debugger subdirectory, it is executing (in
> the local Makefile) the command to make ocamldebug.exe (having successfully
> compiled everything on which it depends), namely
>
> 	../boot/ocamlrun ../ocamlc -I ../boot -linkall -I ../otherlibs/unix
> -o                      ocamldebug.exe  <long list of .cmo files omitted >
>
> and this fails with the error message
>
> 	gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
> 	gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
> 	gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
> 	gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
> 	Error while building custom runtime system
> 	make[1]: *** [ocamldebug.exe] Error 2
> 	make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Program
> Files/ocaml-3.04/debugger'
> 	make: *** [ocamldebugger] Error 2
>
> Can anyone help?  (I have succeeded in building ocaml on another PC that is
> configured almost identically.)

You have unpacked Ocaml to the directory whose name contains spaces
("c:\Program Files\ocaml-3.04"). Don't do that!

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry

* RE: [Caml-list] Trouble building ocaml3.04
@ 2002-02-20 20:10 David Guaspari
From: David Guaspari @ 2002-02-20 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Xavier Leroy'; +Cc: 'Dmitry Bely', caml-list

Yes, thanks.  That was the problem.  (I had previously installed the "pure
win32" version, and had done "uninstall" -- but those environment variables
were still set to the wrong values.)

At least, I think all problems are solved.  I tried "make bootstrap" a few
times and it didn't converge to a fixed point.  I'll ignore that for now.

>     ../boot/ocamlrun ../ocamlc -I ../boot -linkall -I ../otherlibs/unix -o

>         ocamldebug.exe <object files>
>
> with precisely the same error message:
>
> 	gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
> 	gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
> 	gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
> 	gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
> 	Error while building custom runtime system

One possibility is that you have the OCAMLLIB or CAMLLIB environment
variable set to something like \Program Files\Objective Caml\lib, e.g.
because of a previous installation of the "pure Win32" version of OCaml.
Try to do

        unset OCAMLLIB
        unset CAMLLIB

in the Bash shell before proceeding with the compilation.

If it still doesn't work, try sticking a "-verbose" option in the offending
command line:

>     ../boot/ocamlrun ../ocamlc -verbose -I ../boot -linkall \
>         -I ../otherlibs/unix -o ocamldebug.exe <object files>

This causes ocamlc to print the exact invocation of gcc -- very useful to
track down problems like this.

The current release of OCaml definitely mis-handles spaces in the path to
the standard library directory, and also fails to ignore completely previous
installations of OCaml while compiling itself. Damien Doligez has fixed the
latter problem recently, and we promise to do something about the former
before the next release.

Keep us (caml@inria.fr) informed.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Trouble building ocaml3.04
@ 2002-02-20 18:48 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-02-20 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Guaspari; +Cc: 'Dmitry Bely', caml-list

@ 2002-02-20 18:34 David Guaspari
From: David Guaspari @ 2002-02-20 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dmitry Bely', caml-list

A reasonable suggestion, but eliminating the space in the path name didn't
help.
I get the same error message at same spot, except that the next-to-last line
now becomes:

	make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/ocaml-3.04/debugger'

(And, now that I think of it, if that space had been the problem, the make
would presumably have failed earlier.)

I have successfully run "make world" on two of my colleagues' PCs.  I copied
onto my PC the directories created on one of those machines by "make world"
and tested the result with "make bootstrap."  It failed at precisely the
same point

    ../boot/ocamlrun ../ocamlc -I ../boot -linkall -I ../otherlibs/unix -o
        ocamldebug.exe <object files>

with precisely the same error message:

	gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
	gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
	gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
	gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
	Error while building custom runtime system

The machines on which "make world" succeeded do not (at least not now)
contain files or directories called FilesObjective or Camllib.

Any other ideas?