* [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-18 13:50 Edgar Friendly
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Edgar Friendly @ 2013-07-18 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

It's been a while since 2.0, and batteries has had a bunch of improvements
that should be shared with a wider audience.

More features, more bugfixes, more batteries.

Thanks to the *many* contributors in this release; batteries exists because
of you.

E.

Changelog:

Added:
Array.{avg,favg,singleton},
Bigarray.of_enum,
Hashtbl.{modify,modify_def,modify_opt,map_inplace,filter_inplace,filter_opt_inplace},
IMap.{modify,modify_def,modify_opt}, LazyList.lazy_fold_right,
List.{singleton,unfold,min_max,modify,modify_dep,modify_opt, span, nsplit,
group_consecutive},
Map.modify_opt (*3),
MultiMap.modify_opt (*3),
MultiPMap.modify_opt (*3),
Option.{default_delayed , map_default_delayed},
Set.find, Set.Incubator.op_map,
String.rev,
Substring.{equal,contains,iteri,enum}
Fixed:
Compilation with Ocaml 4.01
Speedup in LazyList.append
More organized magic for fast list snoc
Speedup in String.{replace,nreplace}
Cleanup int32.[un]pack exceptions
Fix last bit access in BatBitSet
Float.round corner case on predecessor of 0.5 fixed
Fix Enum.concat's clone implementation
Fix List.n_cartesian_product to allow empty input
Fix BatText.rfind's index calculation
Improve Pervasives.undefined to be curry-able
Array.backwards doesn't clone array anymore
Remove useless allocation in Splay.cfind
More unit tests, benchmarks

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-19  9:59 ` Sébastien Dailly
From: Sébastien Dailly @ 2013-07-19  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le 18/07/2013 15:50, Edgar Friendly a écrit :
> It's been a while since 2.0, and batteries has had a bunch of improvements that should be shared with a wider audience.
>
> More features, more bugfixes, more batteries.

Thanks a lot, I'm a batteries user, and this is a time saver and well made library.

--
Sébastien

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-21 13:32 ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2013-07-21 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edgar Friendly; +Cc: caml-list

2013/07/18, Edgar Friendly wrote:
> It's been a while since 2.0, and batteries has had a bunch of improvements
> that should be shared with a wider audience.
>
> More features, more bugfixes, more batteries.
>
> Thanks to the *many* contributors in this release; batteries exists because
> of you.

Seems like the Batteries need bisect to compile.
bisect-1.3 does not compile out of the box under Cygwin with protz ocaml.

It would be nice if Batteries would be available for beginners using MS/Windows.
In particular because some people recommand Batteries as a starting
point lib for beginning.

--
Cheers

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-21 16:29   ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2013-07-21 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: Edgar Friendly, caml-list

I don't think Batteries needs bisect to compile -- I regularly build
Batteries on systems without bisect. That should be an optional
dependency (using for testing and development purposes), but it's
fairly possible that the buildsystem displays a not-nice warning when
it's missing that you considered an error.

@ 2013-07-21 19:43     ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2013-07-21 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Edgar Friendly, caml-list

2013/07/21, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
> I don't think Batteries needs bisect to compile -- I regularly build
> Batteries on systems without bisect. That should be an optional
> dependency (using for testing and development purposes), but it's
> fairly possible that the buildsystem displays a not-nice warning when
> it's missing that you considered an error.

It's not only a "not-nice warning",
nothing is build at all.

$ make
Build mode: shared
ocamlbuild -no-links src/batteries.cma src/batteriesHelp.cmo
src/batteriesThread.cma META src/batteries.cmxs
src/batteriesThread.cmxs
ocamlfind: Package `bisect' not found
''ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
src/batInnerPervasives.ml > src/batInnerPervasives.ml.depends
Exit code 127 while executing this command:
  ''ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
src/batInnerPervasives.ml > src/batInnerPervasives.ml.depends
Makefile:71: recipe for target `all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 127

$ tree -fi | grep 'cmi$'
# there is nothing
$ tree -fi | grep 'cmo$'
# there is nothing
$ tree -fi | grep 'cmx$'
./_build/myocamlbuild.cmx
$ tree -fi | grep 'cma$'
# there is nothing
$ tree -fi | grep 'cmxa$'
# there is nothing

If the upstreams don't have a MS/Windows test environment, I'm
volunteer for "minimal reports": I mean whenever they want they can
send me a snapshot (or a link to it, or scm or whatever), I run `make`
and send them back the error message.

I can compile it myself I really don't mind, but doing this way is not
very wellcoming for beginners.

--
Regards

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-21 20:02       ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2013-07-21 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list

-[ Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 09:43:14PM +0200, Florent Monnier ]----
> $ make
> Build mode: shared
> ocamlbuild -no-links src/batteries.cma src/batteriesHelp.cmo
> src/batteriesThread.cma META src/batteries.cmxs
> src/batteriesThread.cmxs
> ocamlfind: Package `bisect' not found

This is the harmless warning Gabriel was talking about.

> ''ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
> src/batInnerPervasives.ml > src/batInnerPervasives.ml.depends
> Exit code 127 while executing this command:
>   ''ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
> src/batInnerPervasives.ml > src/batInnerPervasives.ml.depends

This is another thing.
What happen when you run this command by hand ?
Do you have ocamlfind installed and within reach ?
(I guess no since error code 127 usually means 'command not found').

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-21 20:02 ` Marek Kubica
From: Marek Kubica @ 2013-07-21 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:50:31 -0400
Edgar Friendly <thelema314@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's been a while since 2.0, and batteries has had a bunch of
> improvements that should be shared with a wider audience.

When I click on the 2.1 link on the batteries homepage I am sent to
<https://forge.ocamlcore.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=880> and this
page displays a red "permission denied".

regards,
Marek

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-21 20:13       ` Marek Kubica
From: Marek Kubica @ 2013-07-21 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 21:43:14 +0200
Florent Monnier <monnier.florent@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/07/21, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
> > I don't think Batteries needs bisect to compile -- I regularly build
> > Batteries on systems without bisect. That should be an optional
> > dependency (using for testing and development purposes), but it's
> > fairly possible that the buildsystem displays a not-nice warning
> > when it's missing that you considered an error.
>
> It's not only a "not-nice warning",
> nothing is build at all.
>
> $ make
> Build mode: shared
> ocamlbuild -no-links src/batteries.cma src/batteriesHelp.cmo
> src/batteriesThread.cma META src/batteries.cmxs
> src/batteriesThread.cmxs
> ocamlfind: Package `bisect' not found
> ''ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
> src/batInnerPervasives.ml > src/batInnerPervasives.ml.depends
> Exit code 127 while executing this command:
>   ''ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
> src/batInnerPervasives.ml > src/batInnerPervasives.ml.depends
> Makefile:71: recipe for target `all' failed
> make: *** [all] Error 127

I don't think this has to do with bisect. I don't have bisect installed
either and Batteries 2.1 built just fine (except for the ocamlfind
messages, but they were harmless).

(On a related note, Batteries 2.1 is in Arch Linux AUR now)

regards,
Marek

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-22  7:41   ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2013-07-22  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 07/19/2013 06:59 PM, Sébastien Dailly wrote:
> Le 18/07/2013 15:50, Edgar Friendly a écrit :
>> It's been a while since 2.0, and batteries has had a bunch of
>> improvements that should be shared with a wider audience.
>>
>> More features, more bugfixes, more batteries.
>>
> Thanks a lot, I'm a batteries user, and this is a time saver and well
> made library.

I also like it a lot:
- it is a drop-in replacement for the standard library
- it has an exhaustive and very good documentation cf.
   http://ocaml-batteries-team.github.io/batteries-included/hdoc/

PS: I am highly biased ;)

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-22  7:54     ` Sébastien Dailly
From: Sébastien Dailly @ 2013-07-22  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Berenger; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013, Francois Berenger wrote:

> I also like it a lot:
> - it is a drop-in replacement for the standard library
> - it has an exhaustive and very good documentation cf.

>  http://ocaml-batteries-team.github.io/batteries-included/hdoc/

You gave the old link for the documentation, v2 is here :

http://ocaml-batteries-team.github.io/batteries-included/hdoc2/

(About the documentation, I didn't find a direct link to the `module
types` from the index page)

> PS: I am highly biased ;)

Everyone is ! Only the users or mainteners can give a feedback…

--
Sébastien

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-22  8:02         ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2013-07-22  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rixed; +Cc: caml-list

2013/07/21, rixed () happyleptic.org wrote:
> -[ Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 09:43:14PM +0200, Florent Monnier ]----
[...]
>> ''ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
>> src/batInnerPervasives.ml > src/batInnerPervasives.ml.depends
>> Exit code 127 while executing this command:
>>   ''ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
>> src/batInnerPervasives.ml > src/batInnerPervasives.ml.depends
>
> This is another thing.
> What happen when you run this command by hand ?
> Do you have ocamlfind installed and within reach ?
> (I guess no since error code 127 usually means 'command not found').

$ ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
src/batInnerPervasives.ml

# no output (nothing on stdout, nothing on stderr)

$ echo $?
127

--
Regards

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-22 13:11           ` Nicolas Braud-Santoni
From: Nicolas Braud-Santoni @ 2013-07-22 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list

What are the output of "which ocamlfind" and "ocamlc -where" ?

@ 2013-07-22 14:49   ` Edgar Friendly
From: Edgar Friendly @ 2013-07-22 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Kubica; +Cc: caml-list

As a batteries admin, I get that too; I think it's an issue with the forge
(maybe permissions on the 'newsadmin' project?).  I'll see what I can do
about the batteries homepage.

E.

@ 2013-07-22 20:38           ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2013-07-22 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list

> $ ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules src/batInnerPervasives.ml
>
> # no output (nothing on stdout, nothing on stderr)
>
> $ echo $?
> 127

Same with "strace -f" please?

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-23  3:47             ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2013-07-23  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Braud-Santoni; +Cc: caml-list

2013/07/22, Nicolas Braud-Santoni wrote:
> What are the output of "which ocamlfind" and "ocamlc -where" ?

$ which ocamlfind
/usr/bin/ocamlfind

$ ocamlc -where
C:\OCaml\lib

--
Regards

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-23  6:13             ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2013-07-23  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list

-[ Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:38:30PM +0200, rixed@happyleptic.org ]----
> Same with "strace -f" please?

If you are using cygwin on windows you might not have strace, but
maybe there's an equivalent tool?
Otherwise, is you ocamldep executable?

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-23  6:55               ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2013-07-23  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rixed; +Cc: Florent Monnier, caml-list

I don't want to interrupt rixed helpful and appreciated efforts, but
maybe this conversation could be moved onto the Batteries issue
tracker?

PS: I'll take this opportunity to mention the slides on Batteries I
wrote for an OCaml Users Paris Meeting at the beginning of the month.
(Temporary URL, unfortunately) http://is.gd/pSXTwD . And mention that
Batteries welcome contributions from anyone.

@ 2013-07-23 10:40             ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2013-07-23 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rixed; +Cc: caml-list

2013/07/22, rixed () happyleptic.org wrote:
>> $ ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
>> src/batInnerPervasives.ml
>>
>> # no output (nothing on stdout, nothing on stderr)
>>
>> $ echo $?
>> 127
>
> Same with "strace -f" please?

$ cd batteries-2.1/

$ strace -f ocamlfind ocamldep -package bigarray,num,str -modules
src/batInnerPervasives.ml > strace-f.logs 2>&1

$ clip < strace-f.logs

http://pastebin.archlinux.fr/465523

--
Regards

* [Caml-list] Re: [ANN] Batteries 2.1
@ 2013-07-23 10:56     ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2013-07-23 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 22-07-2013, Edgar Friendly <thelema314@gmail.com> wrote:

> --047d7b624dda5af5b004e21ac9dd
>
> As a batteries admin, I get that too; I think it's an issue with the forge
> (maybe permissions on the 'newsadmin' project?).  I'll see what I can do
> about the batteries homepage.

Fixed. I forget to do a step when pushing the news yesterday evening.

> E.
>

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Marek Kubica <marek@xivilization.net>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:50:31 -0400
>> Edgar Friendly <thelema314@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > It's been a while since 2.0, and batteries has had a bunch of
>> > improvements that should be shared with a wider audience.
>>
>> When I click on the 2.1 link on the batteries homepage I am sent to
>> <https://forge.ocamlcore.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=880> and this
>> page displays a red "permission denied".
>>
>> regards,
>> Marek
>>
>> --
> --047d7b624dda5af5b004e21ac9dd

> issue with the forge (maybe permissions on the &#39;newsadmin&#39; project?=
> ). =C2=A0I&#39;ll see what I can do about the batteries homepage.<div><br><=
> /div>
> uote">On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Marek Kubica <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<=
> a href=3D"mailto:marek@xivilization.net" target=3D"_blank">marek@xivilizati=
> x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:50:=
> 31 -0400<br>
> Edgar Friendly &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:thelema314@gmail.com">thelema314@gmail=
> .com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
> &gt; It&#39;s been a while since 2.0, and batteries has had a bunch of<br>
> &gt; improvements that should be shared with a wider audience.<br>
> r>
> &lt;<a href=3D"https://forge.ocamlcore.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=3D880" =
> target=3D"_blank">https://forge.ocamlcore.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=3D88=
> 0</a>&gt; and this<br>
> page displays a red &quot;permission denied&quot;.<br>
> regards,<br>
> Marek<br>
> --<br>
> Caml-list mailing list. =C2=A0Subscription management and archives:<br>
> tps://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list</a><br>
> Beginner&#39;s list: <a href=3D"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginne=
> Bug reports: <a href=3D"http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs" target=3D"_blan=
> k">http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs</a><br>
>
> --047d7b624dda5af5b004e21ac9dd--