categories - Category Theory list
From: Ross Street <ross.street@mq.edu.au>
To: Bob Rosebrugh <rrosebru@mta.ca>
	Samuel Muller <samuel.muller@mq.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Signing off
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 04:48:46 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Bob

Far away in time and distance from most of your readers Max Kelly, in Australia,
decided to make a mailing list of category theorists he knew from conferences;
I contributed some more people. The list was typed on a golfball IBM typewriter.
When we had a preprint or two (and once, a ``Christmas Letter''), we would photocopy
the list onto sheets of address labels, put the preprints in envelopes, and mail them
using the reliable postal system of the 1970s.

Once we sent the list itself around too. Mike Barr wrote or said to Max: ``What am I supposed
to do with this!'' Max explained what we did. However, by then, word processors were
around and Mike wanted an electronic version. We moved to that. The first word processor
our Macquarie Mathematics Department secretaries used was called ``OK editor'', not great.
Of course then in came email and work stations and personal computers and TeX, . . . ; you
know the story.

In 1990, you stepped in with prescient creations: a social medium for category theory
and one of the very first electronic mathematics journals.
What a debt our subject owes you!! You dedicated so much to running both magnificently.
So easy to say ``thank you'', and I do. However, with all the thanks flowing in, our joint
appreciation should be clear.

It is a hard act to follow. Luckily, JS has stepped forward and already managed to have
a replacement system up and running. I have full confidence that he will run it well, he
is so bright and energetic. Moreover, I told the little story in the first paragraph to express
my feeling of some satisfaction that the system has come to this far, distant land.

Surely now Bob, you will have a bit more time for research and other things.
You deserve it.

With best regards,
Ross