categories - Category Theory list
From: "Jon Sterling" <jon@jonmsterling.com>
To: "Thomas Streicher" <streicher@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Cc: "Nath Rao" <khazanarao@gmail.com>,
	"categories@mq.edu.au" <categories@mq.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Fibrewise opposite fibration
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 11:53:15 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Thomas,

I think I see what you mean about global choice in classical math, but I don't think I agree overall. Things like connecting f.f.+e.s.o functors to equivalences in classical math do not require global choice when stated in the way that a careful classical mathematician understands (or is supposed to understand) them.

The statement is "There exists a mapping that takes any f.f.+e.s.o F : C -> D functor to a functor G : D -> F together with natural isomorphisms GF=1 and FG=1". This statement follows from "local" choice easily without making any global choices. I understand that you need global choice for this claimed function to form a 'definitional extension' of ZFC, but that is simply not what is meant by the original claim; it is for this reason that the practical formalisation of mathematics in ZFC emphasises consecutive conservative extensions and not only definitional extensions. Avoiding this distinction is one of the reasons that some people (like Hilbert and Bourbaki) have introduced global choice, but I must emphasise that essentially all the theorems of classical mathematics also work fine with only local choice. This is because the ground statements of classical mathematics are always propositional: when we want to introduce a construction, we describe the specification of that construction by means of a predicate, and then say that there exists something satisfying that predicate. After this, we work with an arbitrary thing satisfying that specification.

Likewise I do not agree with the discussion of geometric morphisms, for reasons that are identical to what I have mentioned above regarding weak and strong equivalences of categories.

For these reasons, I personally would not think of HoTT as an attempt to avoid hidden uses of strong/global choice, because the rest of classical mathematics (with the exception of Bourbaki) also does a perfectly fine job of avoiding global choice. (I'm not arguing against the convenience and utility of global choice though.)

Best,
Jon