categories - Category Theory list
From: Dusko Pavlovic <duskgoo@gmail.com>
To: categories@mq.edu.au
Subject: Re: Fibrewise opposite fibration
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 21:31:42 -1000	[thread overview]

it occurs to me that i have been preaching the helpfulness of the
well-ordering of all data in the world, as demonstrated by its utility to
the programmers --- and i totally forgot to mention its utility as a
*categorical structure*!!  i forgot to plug my own work which provides the
categorical underpinning for the well-ordering sermon...

so we all love the **cartesian closed categories**, characterized by the
adjunction
CC(XxA,B) ~ CC(X, A=>B)           (*)

but the cccs are *extensional* universes, corresponding to the extensional
type theories. if we want to capture the world with actual programs, say in
a programming language P, then we have just a family of X-natural
surjections
CC(XxA,B) <<--- CC(X, P)             (#)
the surjections say that every computably X-indexed family of computable
functions from A to B can be programmed by a computably X-indexed family of
programs in P. since computable functions don't always halt, we cannot
avoid at least the computational effect of nontermination, and the AxB is
not a product but a tensor, say from a commutative computational monad.
such (symmetric) monoidal categories with a "programming language" type P
and natural surjections (#) is what i called *monoidal computers*, because
you can program everything using (#), without ever saying anything else
about the programming language. it is turing complete. it's all spelled out
in my book.

but the snag is that (*) is a *property* of a category, whereas (#) is a
structure. a category can be cartesian closed in only one way, but it can
be a monoidal computer in many ways. one is tempted to say that this is
unavoidable since the CT thesis leaves us with many models of computation
and infinitely many unnatural isomorphisms between any two.

**** enter the well-order ****

IF you remember that programming languages are well-ordered, and assume
that the type P carries a well-ordering,
THEN (#) becomes a *property*. a monoidal category CC can have at most one
well-ordered type P with (#), up to isomorphism.

the nices thing is that you prove this by spelling out what came to be
called the cantor-bernstein theorem, but in cantor's way: using the
well-order. (dedekind discouraged publishing this because the well-ordering
of the reals was cantor's by far the deadliest mortal sin. even now, to
really keep the reals well-ordered you need something like levin's
dovetailing approximations...)

anyway, this proof is in Ch 8 of my book *programs as diagrams*.
computability is a *categorical property* --- IF you take into account that
the programming language is well-ordered (which implies that all checkable
types are).

sorry about plugging my book. i know it's a world of tweets and advertising
campaigns but i still feel bad. my alibi is that the fact that
computability+well-order is a categorical property is way more important
than any book and surely goes deeper than i can comprehend no matter how
many turing degrees and oracles i consult...

(can't believe that i only remembered to mention this after like 5 posts...)

-- dusko