categories - Category Theory list
From: F William Lawvere <wlawvere@buffalo.edu>
To: "George Janelidze" <janelg@telkomsa.net>, <categories@mta.ca>,
	"Michael Barr" <barr@math.mcgill.ca>
Subject: Re: Question on exact sequence
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:05:51 -0500	[thread overview]

The remarks of Clemens together with Murray Adelman's
construction as alluded to by Ross suggest the following.

The 1960 triumph of abelian categories was followed by a
decade  which Barr and Grothendieck showed that exactness
has little to to with additivity. But homology itself would seem also to
have little to do with additivity, if we take seriously the following definition
(that is actually mentioned in passing in many books without the
specific mention of that other 50-year old triumph of category theory).

Given a full inclusion that has both left and right adjoints, there is
a resulting map from the right adjoint to the left; the image H of that
map is a further invariant of objects in the bigger category, recorded in
the smaller.

For example  A^C will have a full subcategory determined by
a given surjective functor C->D so if A is complete the two adjoints and
the image exist (in the traditional example, let C be a generic sequence
and let D be the sequence of zeroes; restricting to the part of A^C where
d^2=0 may make computing H easier but will not change the definition).

Of course if the left adjoint preserves products, then so will H and
hence H will preserve any kind of algebraic structure.  But the simplest example
(reflexive graphs) also satisfies the "Nullstellensatz " of my 2007 TAC paper
on cohesion, which is just a way of saying that H reduces to the right adjoint
 itself.

For (nonreflexive) iterated graphs , I.e., for  C a sequence of parallel pairs,
(for example sums of front vs back faces of cubes), an interesting subcategory
of the functor category is the part where the two are equal. This may be useful
for homology of additive objects where rigs of coefficients are not necessarily
rings.

How can exactness and "long exact sequences" be meaningfully  treated for such
functors H in non-abelian contexts ?

Bill

On Thu 11/12/09  7:41 AM , Michael Barr barr@math.mcgill.ca sent: