categories - Category Theory list
From: Michael Barr <barr@math.mcgill.ca>
To: Marco Grandis <grandis@dima.unige.it>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Question on exact sequence
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:15:02 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

That is really fascinating.  I assume that when you wrote A --> B --> B'
--> C, that last should have been C'.  Here is how it arose.  Call a map A
--> B cotorsion if its cokernel is torsion (for a generalized notion of
torsion).  Assuming that torsion objects are closed under extension (and
that a quotient of torsion is torsion) this allows a proof that a
composite of cotorsion maps is cotorsion.

Anyway, thanks.

Michael