categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Undirected graphs
@ 2006-03-02 18:16 Dr. Cyrus F Nourani
From: Dr. Cyrus F Nourani @ 2006-03-02 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

This is very interesting. The enclosed papers were in part
indicating that models can be designed with undirected graphs
on Hasse diagrams where disenfrachised computing can create
models in pieces. Further insights would be great.
Cyrus

Functors Computing Hasse Diagram Models
February 17, 1997, MiniConferece, Maine, April 1997.

Functorial Hasse Models
SLK 2002, Eurpean Sumer Logic Colloquium, Munster, Germany, July 2002
wwwmath.uni-muenster.de/LC2002/presentedbytitle.html

--_----------=_114132340527320--

* Undirected graphs
@ 2006-03-08 15:07 Robert Pare
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Pare @ 2006-03-08 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

[note from moderator: resent due to faulty From: ]

I've been following the recent posts on undirected graphs
with interest. But I have a question. I think it's being said
that undirected graphs are the same as directed graphs with
involution. (Presheaves on the full subcategory of SET determined
by 1 and 2, or just 2.) Which is nice but what about loops?
The involution might fix a loop or not. So wouldn't we be
getting undirected graphs with two kinds of loops, whole loops
and semiloops? What am I missing?

Bob

* Re:  Undirected graphs
@ 2006-03-09 17:38 Chris Wensley
From: Chris Wensley @ 2006-03-09 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Bob

> I've been following the recent posts on undirected graphs
> with interest. But I have a question. I think it's being said
> that undirected graphs are the same as directed graphs with
> involution. (Presheaves on the full subcategory of SET determined
> by 1 or 2, or just 2.) Which is nice but what about loops?
> The involution might fix a loop or not. So wouldn't we be
> getting undirected graphs with two kinds of loops, whole loops
> and semiloops? What am I missing?

There has been some 'work in progress' at Bangor on this very question
for the past 8 years. This is intended to present a categorical approach
to graph theory to workers in combinatorics, and is not intended for
category theorists.  The current draft, 06.04, is available at

http://www.informatics.bangor.ac.uk/public/mathematics/research/preprints/06/
(follow the link 06.04 to 06_04.pdf).

We do indeed discuss two types of loop, which we call 'loops' and 'bands'.

Ronnie is away today, but may well add his own comment tomorrow.

Best wishes, Chris Wensley