categories - Category Theory list
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>
To: categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Small is beautiful
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 00:41:13 -0800	[thread overview]

Ross Street wrote:
> Part of what Bob Paré was arguing, I believe, was that we should be
> flexible
> (pun intended) about what "small" means. If "small" means "finite" then
> FinSet
> is not "essentially small". Also, "small" could mean "no more than one
> element".

Thanks, Ross.  Hopefully Bob will phrase it that way next time.  ;)

If 2 is the usual symmetric monoidal closed category with objects 0 and
1 and only non-identity morphism 0 --> 1, then Chu(2,1) has four objects
while Chu(2,0) has only three, but both are self-dual.  The CEO of
search engine company Cuil (Old Irish for knowledge) had finite
categories of this kind in her 1997 Ph.D. thesis.

What got me started on my previous message was that Bob was calling
these "syntactic" when to me they were semantic.  If by "syntactic" he
meant "finite," or more generally less than some specified ordinal, then
I have no problem with that, other than that I'd prefer he be specific
about the ordinal rather than vaguely saying "syntactic."

Vaughan