categories - Category Theory list
From: John Power <A.J.Power@bath.ac.uk>
To: Robert Pare <pare@mathstat.dal.ca>
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: re: Small is beautiful
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 06:53:47 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Colleagues,

I have not quite absorbed all the email on this yet, so may be
repeating something already said. But perhaps it would be helpful to
mention that, in regard to questions like this, I have found enriched
categories helpful:

consider either

1 the functor category [->,Set] (an object is a pair of sets X and Y
and a function from X to Y)

or

2 the category Sub(Set) (an object is a set X together with a subset
X', and a map from (X,X') to (Y,Y') is a function from X to Y for
which the image of X' lies in Y'

These categories, especially the first, both have the properties one
typically seeks for a V in studying V-categories.

Spelling out what a V-category is in the second case yields a category
C with a subcategory for which the inclusion is the identity on objects.

Happy New Year to all,

John.